Speaker Ternimals

What do most people use for speaker connections on a custom box?
I'm looking for a good a connection as possible. Thanks
copper bolts (if you van find them), brass bolts, stainless steel bolts. drill holes In the box and run speaker wire through sealing inside with silicone. terminal plates, binding posts.

so many ways

If you're running a lot of power bolts and nuts work well or there are binding posts you can buy that have a splined shaft. They seal in the box well and no sealant is required. I've got them on hand, also.

As for silicone, I don't recommend ever using it on any speaker box. Ever. Silicone doesn't adhere well to wood, as it is designed to seal non porous substrates. It also smells horrible and is hard to clean up. If you have to use some sort of sealant, siliconized painter's caulk or Polyseamseal work best. Both are non volatile and they clean up easily with water.

Yeah I've gone the drill a hole/silicon route before and the silicon ended up pulling out. It's also a PITA to move the enclosure around with big wires hanging off the end that cannot be disconnected. The best method I've found is just using stainless steel bolts + a set screw lug (like this) on the outside for easy disconnecting.

i only use speaker wire directly in the box than seal around it. every install I do it works perfectly and never pulls. you can't get a better connection than direct.

ive always gone wire speaker terminals which i didnt go with on this newest box because of the current loss i heard you get from them. But not I have holes drilled with wire going through them and will never go this route unless i dont plan on moving the box. Bolts are gonna be the way i got for now on.

I am building a box soon. How does one of those mount? Is that lower left hole screwed in? Idk first box build and hoping it goes well. Was gonna do terminals, except for apparently they aren't good for high power, and I'm running 1800WRMS

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.