First build! 2008 Scion xB "SQ" build.

supereikenator
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So this isn't going to be a "wow" build, especially compared to the pros on here, it will also take a year or longer to get done I'm sure, and I will ask ALOT of stupid questions. But, that being said, this will be my first time doing an install all by myself, so that's why I'm doing this, also, I said SQ but this will be nothing compared to a true SQ build because I'm 18 and work fast food. Anyways, onto the system.

Things I plan to buy:

(1) JBL GTI MKii 10.

(1) JBL GTO 1001EZ

(1) Pair of JBL MS-62C 6.5 components

(1) Pair of Focal Access or Memphis MC 6.5 coaxial a for rear doors.

(1) JBL GTO 804EZ

Things I could use help deciding:

Do I need a second battery? I have a Yellowtop up front and no big 3.

What size and tuning box for the GTI?

What sound deadening should I use? I was thinking Q-Mat, or local shop sells Hushmat. I plan to deaden my roof and all four doors.

Are all of the subs/speakers/amps the best for the price range?

My head unit it a Kenwood x397 with three sets of RCA outs, and it's already in, same with my wiring, I have 4 gauge Memphis wiring run through my car from my last install.

Thanks in advance guys!

So this isn't going to be a "wow" build, especially compared to the pros on here, it will also take a year or longer to get done I'm sure, and I will ask ALOT of stupid questions. But, that being said, this will be my first time doing an install all by myself, so that's why I'm doing this, also, I said SQ but this will be nothing compared to a true SQ build because I'm 18 and work fast food. Anyways, onto the system.
Things I plan to buy:

(1) JBL GTI MKii 10.

(1) JBL GTO 1001EZ

(1) Pair of JBL MS-62C 6.5 components

(1) Pair of Focal Access or Memphis MC 6.5 coaxial a for rear doors.

(1) JBL GTO 804EZ

Things I could use help deciding:

Do I need a second battery? I have a Yellowtop up front and no big 3.

What size and tuning box for the GTI?

What sound deadening should I use? I was thinking Q-Mat, or local shop sells Hushmat. I plan to deaden my roof and all four doors.

Are all of the subs/speakers/amps the best for the price range?

My head unit it a Kenwood x397 with three sets of RCA outs, and it's already in, same with my wiring, I have 4 gauge Memphis wiring run through my car from my last install.

Thanks in advance guys!
First, if it was me, I'll use 0 gauge wiring(best if ofc) and an extra battery in the back, to be ready for any future upgrades.

I recommend checking the subs manual or getting info from the manufacturer tech for exact info on The enclosure and tuning.

I consider the radio good, it has all you need and best of all, you already have it, which means less money to spend.

First, if it was me, I'll use 0 gauge wiring(best if ofc) and an extra battery in the back, to be ready for any future upgrades.I recommend checking the subs manual or getting info from the manufacturer tech for exact info on The enclosure and tuning.

I consider the radio good, it has all you need and best of all, you already have it, which means less money to spend.
This will be my last upgrade for a while, I start college next year so money will be super short, if 4 gauge works for these two amps I'll probably keep it. Any batteries you recommend? I'll check the manual when I finally get it bought, or I'll google it if I get antsy. Thank you!

Nothing wrong with JBL's products but I do think you could do better for about the same money for the whole system.

For an SQ build, I would consider nixing the rear fill completely or, at least, leaving the factory speakers in place and running them from the head unit with a simple passive crossover if, after the system is built you feel a need for rear fill. But regardless, the best SQ you'll get is from a strong front stage that's at (as close as possible) ear level. And if you're concerned about rear seat passengers, a strong front stage is still enough to make rear seat listening enjoyable.

That said, if it were me I'd still be planning on a 4 channel amp but I would run front channel components active from it. If your 4 gauge is ofc then you're okay with keeping it provided the power you're running doesn't go up from your initial list. But I would do a big 3 and put in a second battery, although how large a battery needs to be decided once you've set the amp selection in stone.

For the sub stage, first thing I have to say is that the JBL sub is more form than function. It's a sick looking sub but sick looking doesn't indicate good performance and because JBL isn't forthcoming with TSPs on it, I can't help but think it's a bit of an underperformer. I have experience with the GTO line of subs and for entry level subs, I would recommend them. But this isn't an entry level sub so, I would shy away from it. Matter of fact, I'd keep the Qoundqubed sub before I'd buy that one. I might change my mind about that if I could see some real specs on the GTI but again, JBL doesn't publish them for a reason.

For amps and speakers, I would look to another company and since I'm a CT Sounds dealer, obviously I'd steer you to them or Execution Audio, which is their entry level line. But my reasoning isn't purely self interest and I'll explain....

Go to a few car audio competitions and see what people are running in the lanes. Or, got on youtube and look at videos from competitions. You won't see much mainstream gear there and you'll see even less of it with trophy's standing beside the cars. In simple terms, if you want professional performance, run what the pros run and if you want mediocre performance, run what's popular.

And once you've done some research you'll be surprised at how inexpensive a lot of professional gear is compared to mainstream gear. Often times it's cheaper for more power/performance.

If you're interested pricing on CT Sounds, I'll check for a local dealer for you and if there is none, I'll be happy to help you out. :)

Nothing wrong with JBL's products but I do think you could do better for about the same money for the whole system.
For an SQ build, I would consider nixing the rear fill completely or, at least, leaving the factory speakers in place and running them from the head unit with a simple passive crossover if, after the system is built you feel a need for rear fill. But regardless, the best SQ you'll get is from a strong front stage that's at (as close as possible) ear level. And if you're concerned about rear seat passengers, a strong front stage is still enough to make rear seat listening enjoyable.

That said, if it were me I'd still be planning on a 4 channel amp but I would run front channel components active from it. If your 4 gauge is ofc then you're okay with keeping it provided the power you're running doesn't go up from your initial list. But I would do a big 3 and put in a second battery, although how large a battery needs to be decided once you've set the amp selection in stone.

For the sub stage, first thing I have to say is that the JBL sub is more form than function. It's a sick looking sub but sick looking doesn't indicate good performance and because JBL isn't forthcoming with TSPs on it, I can't help but think it's a bit of an underperformer. I have experience with the GTO line of subs and for entry level subs, I would recommend them. But this isn't an entry level sub so, I would shy away from it. Matter of fact, I'd keep the Qoundqubed sub before I'd buy that one. I might change my mind about that if I could see some real specs on the GTI but again, JBL doesn't publish them for a reason.

For amps and speakers, I would look to another company and since I'm a CT Sounds dealer, obviously I'd steer you to them or Execution Audio, which is their entry level line. But my reasoning isn't purely self interest and I'll explain....

Go to a few car audio competitions and see what people are running in the lanes. Or, got on youtube and look at videos from competitions. You won't see much mainstream gear there and you'll see even less of it with trophy's standing beside the cars. In simple terms, if you want professional performance, run what the pros run and if you want mediocre performance, run what's popular.

And once you've done some research you'll be surprised at how inexpensive a lot of professional gear is compared to mainstream gear. Often times it's cheaper for more power/performance.

If you're interested pricing on CT Sounds, I'll check for a local dealer for you and if there is none, I'll be happy to help you out. :)
I usually do shy away from mainstream but these JBL products had such rave reviews I put some confidence in them. The GTI has super high efficiency and is supposed to have awesome SQ, but if there is better to be had shoot me a message of what you've got in mind. I may cut out the rear fill and spend the extra $150 on even better components, but which ones? Also, I'm kind of new to this, so what do you mean by active? Amping the tweet and mid on a channel a piece? I don't think I have ever seen JBL in the lanes, but I'm not going for SPL so I didn't think much of it. I've never been to an SQ competition if that's what you mean though. I'm 99% sure I have no local CT dealers so you'll be a good choice. PM all the products(with prices) that you have in mind. I'm not very stubborn, but definitely under a budget and paranoid about listening to dealers. I'm just worried because I've never heard anything about CT and SQ, just about how much over rated their amps do, and the SPL tests of the subs.

I usually do shy away from mainstream but these JBL products had such rave reviews I put some confidence in them. The GTI has super high efficiency and is supposed to have awesome SQ, but if there is better to be had shoot me a message of what you've got in mind. I may cut out the rear fill and spend the extra $150 on even better components, but which ones? Also, I'm kind of new to this, so what do you mean by active? Amping the tweet and mid on a channel a piece? I don't think I have ever seen JBL in the lanes, but I'm not going for SPL so I didn't think much of it. I've never been to an SQ competition if that's what you mean though. I'm 99% sure I have no local CT dealers so you'll be a good choice. PM all the products(with prices) that you have in mind. I'm not very stubborn, but definitely under a budget and paranoid about listening to dealers. I'm just worried because I've never heard anything about CT and SQ, just about how much over rated their amps do, and the SPL tests of the subs.
You're not likely to see CT in an SQ build until after the component sets have been out for a while so I understand your hesitance there. But consider that in order for their amps to put out as much power as they do for the price, they have to have high quality components. And high quality components are the most important ingredient in an SQ amp. Also, their mid and high amps are all class A/B which to me, isn't that important but to SQ snobs it is, lol.

I realize that anecdotal evidence from a dealer isn't the most solid information, so take this for what it's worth.... In my demo truck I was running a Diamond Audio D5 600.4 on the mids, driven by a processor and running active. I replaced that amp with a CT Sounds 125.4 and gained in both sound quality and loudness. And one of the two most common comments I got from people who sat in my truck was the fact that even though it had stupid bass, it still had excellent SQ.

As for running active, that's exactly what I mean. You user either the head unit or amp's crossovers and you ditch the passive crossovers. That will get you a lot more control over setting things up in your specific vehicle because you can't change the crossover points in a passive crossover.

And the reason you don't see much in the way of SQ info on youtube is that not too many people are SQ driven and, it's impossible to make a video that conveys sound quality so, it's kinda pointless to try.

You're not likely to see CT in an SQ build until after the component sets have been out for a while so I understand your hesitance there. But consider that in order for their amps to put out as much power as they do for the price, they have to have high quality components. And high quality components are the most important ingredient in an SQ amp. Also, their mid and high amps are all class A/B which to me, isn't that important but to SQ snobs it is, lol.
I realize that anecdotal evidence from a dealer isn't the most solid information, so take this for what it's worth.... In my demo truck I was running a Diamond Audio D5 600.4 on the mids, driven by a processor and running active. I replaced that amp with a CT Sounds 125.4 and gained in both sound quality and loudness. And one of the two most common comments I got from people who sat in my truck was the fact that even though it had stupid bass, it still had excellent SQ.

As for running active, that's exactly what I mean. You user either the head unit or amp's crossovers and you ditch the passive crossovers. That will get you a lot more control over setting things up in your specific vehicle because you can't change the crossover points in a passive crossover.

And the reason you don't see much in the way of SQ info on youtube is that not too many people are SQ driven and, it's impossible to make a video that conveys sound quality so, it's kinda pointless to try.
I agree with the YouTube thing for sure, and honestly, I was very SPL driven initially which is how I ended up with stock speakers and a monstrous HDC3 15. If the prices are competitive I will gladly give them a shot. You seem to be a very straight up guy. Plus, I feel like you wouldn't push it if it sounded bad because that risks me being disappointed and leaving a bad review.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.