Will wiring 2 subwoofers with different impedances make one get less power?

BassIsGrace
10+ year member

I ordered a hds2 12(d4) from soundqubed and they sent me a d2.I didn't feel like sending it back and waiting longer so I wired it parallel to the other hds2 12 (d4) and my DMM showed they were resting at .8 ohms. My hifonics amp is 1 ohm stable but this ohm load doesn't make it over heat or act funny.1 person said it doesn't matter if 2 subs are different impedances.they will split the power between the 2.the other person said send it back cause they wont get even power.one will get less and the other more.which is true?

Most likely get uneven power as it has less resitance than the other sub/subs

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Just my MO

so you can basically think about it like this (if all wiring is parallel).. since you have one woofer at 1ohm and the other woofer at 2ohms, the 1ohm woofer (d2) will see 66% of the total amplifier power and the 2ohm woofer (d4) will see 33% due to common current division.

There are simple circuits equations that calculate your exact(ish) power division for any coil configuration but I would have to explain equivalent resistances, then power calculations, then current division, which I could do if need be. I'm not gonna type it up if nobody cares though. Lolz

probably a dramatic increase if they're in a shared chamber. Since the d2 woofer is seeing twice the power that the other is seeing, it is moving probably close to twice as far from peak to peak. The d4 woofer is just kinda flappin around in there on that lower power and sort of "getting in the way" of the d1. I'm sure there is a fair amount of cancellation going on there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.