component speaker impedance together on a channel

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
say you have a 2 channel amp and a component set of speakers.

You have a mid range and tweeter attached to a passive cross over on each channel.

What impedance is the amp seeing on each channel? I assume 2ohms to get the most power?

Is it possible that these component speakers are set up in a way that the mid woofer gets more power than the tweeter?

The way I understand it, if the tweeter attenuation on the crossover is set to anything other than the highest output setting then the tweeter is getting less power than the mid. This is also dictated by the music, as music usually has less energy in high frequencies than low frequencies.

If you have two four ohm drivers on a crossover built correctly for them, the amp will have a four ohm nominal load, give or take a few tenths.

If you have two four ohm drivers on a crossover built correctly for them, the amp will have a four ohm nominal load, give or take a few tenths.
so they wouldn't be parallel? wtf....

What if the tweeter is playing a high note and the mid is playing a low note at the same time. Since they are both drawing power through the crossover, does the amp see a 2ohm load in that instance or is it still 4ohm power coming from the amp and being divided between the speakers?

this is what the amplifier sees for impedance:

Image Dynamics CX62 (2 ohm version)

IDCX62_comp_R.jpg

the amplifier sees both of the fs spikes for each speaker (woofer and tweeter). it will also see any resistance networks for the tweeter (for attenuation).

getting more power to the woofer requires a bi-amp crossover and multiple amplifier channels. or you can use resistor pads to lower power to the tweeter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.