selenium tweeters and bass blockers

Participant count
  • Participant list

that_one_guy

i'm looking to install two selenium st200 tweeters.

Selenium Two St 200 140W Super Tweeters Speakers 1792719021664 | eBay

would these bass blockers be what i would need to go in line with the tweeters?

Amazon.com: Stinger SGJ96 0-5.6 KHz 4-Ohm Bass Blockers Blocks for Tweeters: Car Electronics

those a good pairing?

also, the tweeters are 8 ohm.

i assume tweeters work the same way as subs, i can wire them in parallel to make a 4 ohm load, and bridge my amp and run them together off the same output (i also assume i would lose the left and right (stereo) and the tweeters would be mono, so they both play the same sound...

right?

any other advise\info\tips on tweeters, i've never put tweeters in.

thanks

you want to get 8 ohm bass blockers.

and buy them from Parts Express.

Selenium ST200 Super Tweeter | 264-348

get one of these for each.

5 kHz High Pass 8 Ohm Crossover | 266-474

these are 12dB/oct slope which is better than a typical "bass blocker" which is a 6dB/oct slope.

these are plenty efficient. run them in stereo and maintain a stereo image.

you could wire them in parallel and bridge the amp but there is no good reason to do so and you're just making things worse. your balance and fader should always work properly. if not, you're doing it wrong and just listening to noise.

the reason bass blockers or passive crossovers need to be made to the speaker's impedance is because that affects the crossover point.

for a simple 6dB/oct crossover:

a 4 ohm crossover would behave 2x as high if wired to a 8 ohm tweeter (crossover frequency is doubled when speaker impedance is doubled)

the real danger comes when using an 8 ohm crossover on a 4 ohm tweeter because the crossover frequency is halved.

capacitor_inductor_values.jpg

with higher-order crossovers the effect is worse because values move in opposite directions

crossover_chart-600.jpg

i got the massive nx2 today

(the st200s and 5khz 8ohm crossover as well)

should i set the amp to high pass filter, or all pass and let the crossovers do the work?

does it matter?

set amp to FULL since you have external xovers as you don't need/want the amps xover circuit working. And you do NOT need anywhere near 60watts each for those tweeters...

so, which is it?
both methods work fine. you don't need to use the crossovers on the amp but without them, the amp will produce full range and try to amplify low frequencies. The passive crossovers just provide a higher impedance to frequencies below the crossover point, but amplifier power is still wasted. the crossover circuit doesn't consume power but it will affect phase on the output.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.