front firing and 18 in a trunk, need allot of insight

adjetta
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Okay so I am running a Sundown Audio Zv4 18" On an aq2200, Its going into a 2002 Infiniti I35(same as Nissan Maxima) My maximum box dimensions are 38 x 19.5 x 31 and that is if I build it in two halfs like this

View attachment 26546114

It could be slightly larger if we built it in the trunk, the main hurdle is the opening between the seats and the cabin, its like 14 inch high and 28 inches wide, so I need to build it a bit further back and seal. I want good sq with as much SPL as low/Muscial will permit. The only other option that I can think of is fiberglassing the whole spare tire well. and extending the front baffle into it, and building the rest around the tire well, and that is not in my wheel house,

here is what i'm working withView attachment 26546118View attachment 26546119View attachment 26546120View attachment 26546121

man, 12's are pricey, I had my heart set on the zv4, I figure an 18 has the cone area of 2 12's for half the price, if I could afford more power and another sub I would get two 12's and call it a day

Unless you do sub up..would that work
When i had my hcca it was sub forward, port side, and it sounded like complete crap. My trunk is a rattle trap, and all of the deadening on earth couldn't prevent the quarter panel from vibrating against the wheel well...although foam helped. So I think my life would be alot happier with the trunk sealed off from the pressure.

sub up would be loud, but not in a very good way

U could do a pair of x 12s
thought about that, but no one seems to pleased with the x series, and that scares me

When i had my hcca it was sub forward, port side, and it sounded like complete crap. My trunk is a rattle trap, and all of the deadening on earth couldn't prevent the quarter panel from vibrating against the wheel well...although foam helped. So I think my life would be alot happier with the trunk sealed off from the pressure.
sub up would be loud, but not in a very good way

thought about that, but no one seems to pleased with the x series, and that scares me
lol im not so sure its that they arent pleased with them i think every one just wanted to throw a ton of power to them i mean the zv4 motor can handle a lot more but the x 12s are suppose to get pretty low thats what im doing next in my daily is two x 12s

i ran two twelves in the rear deck of my 2002 maxima, it sounded fantastic, also didnt require the seats to be folded down, I switched to an infiniti G35 and i really hate the fact that i cant mount subs in the rear deck.... one 18 firing forward would sound good though, or cut the deck out and fire it upwards towards the back glass, just make sure its sealed off so the sound isnt staying in the trunk.

With size dim. Being an issue id go with three or four 8in sub and go with a well tuned 6th or 4th order. Or tline may be your best bet with very good output.

Or a pair of beefy 10in in a 4th or tline.

U dont want to stuff a big *** sub in a small space.

I want to use the space u have to the subs advantage.

Ull be surprised on a smaller subs output if your enclosure is done right.

With size dim. Being an issue id go with three or four 8in sub and go with a well tuned 6th or 4th order. Or tline may be your best bet with very good output.
Or a pair of beefy 10in in a 4th or tline.

U dont want to stuff a big *** sub in a small space.

I want to use the space u have to the subs advantage.

Ull be surprised on a smaller subs output if your enclosure is done right.
I agree a 4th order ported through the ski hole can be very dangerous. I just heard an Infiniti M35(I know different than yours) with a 2 tens in a 4th order ported through the ski hole. Let me say it hit hard and there wasnt a rattle anywhere on the outside and he didnt deaden a thing on the car. A Tline with any line length will take up the whole truck as well, I would rule that out. The work to cram an 18" in isnt worth it when you can get the same output from mulitple smaller subs.

Im not saying its impossible to fit that 18 in there its just more work than it is worth. Youre talking about doing some serious modifications to your car to get that to fit in there in any kind of a respectable enclosure.

For once I have to go with the majority here.. If you plan on running at least the RMS to the 18 2 12's on the same power will be just as loud due to power compression favoring the 12's and cone area favoring the 18..

I was going to run a 18 in my VW CC and same thing. Just could not get enough air space In the trunk. We'll could of did a in trunk build but being a brand new car that was not going to happen.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.