Adding rear speakers, recommendations?

nstillmatic
10+ year member

This is my current setup (no rear speakers):

HAT Imagine I61 6.5" component set -> Sundown SAX 125.2

Sundown SA-15 -> Sundown SAX-1200D

I'm swapping out my SAX 125.2 for a 125.4 and would like to drop something in the rears. Are the Sundown Neo Pro 6.5"s a good option? Or HAT's Mirus set?

I have a hatchback with the rear speakers disconnected. Problem is without speakers plugged in the rear.. driving with the windows open or on the highway the sound is drowned out like crazy.

I have a hatchback with the rear speakers disconnected. Problem is without speakers plugged in the rear.. driving with the windows open or on the highway the sound is drowned out like crazy.
You need to do some sound deadening throughout the car then

Both doors are sound deadened already. I spend most of my time driving on the highway for work and the volume from the front components is drastically reduced with windows open. It is like night and day.

Both doors are sound deadened already. I spend most of my time driving on the highway for work and the volume from the front components is drastically reduced with windows open. It is like night and day.
That's because you have your windows open, you either need more powerful speakers and a more powerful amp for them. Adding more speakers won't help.

Not to mention the window rolled down bounces the rear wave directly at the speaker instead of the deadener you hopefully have on the inside of the outer skin of the door.

If it's a small vehicle adding some extra speakers in the rear will help fix the issue. You could also try a louder set of speakers up front instead which would sound better when it's all said and done. If you knew that's how you usually drive I would have went with some sort of pro audio styled car audio speaker to start with. (not true pro audio though since I'm assuming you need the passive x-over). A good real 92-94dbw/1w/1m speaker should be able to overcome road noise like that. I know my last setup using 8's and horns, swear to god couldn't even hear ANY road noise with the windows down going 80 on the highway. The normal wind noise got drowned out, and that was on any type of music, not just rap lol. That was a 97db/1w/1m front on around 125 watts, from 3/4 volume and up you had no issues with road noise with the windows down. Always build your system aruond what your using it for. If your mostly on the highway windows down then dont' go with a "SQ" car audio component set. Get something in a similar budget that will get louder, even if it gives up a bit of fidelity to get there, you can't hear it over road noise anyways.

You need to do some sound deadening throughout the car then
If the guy listens music with windows open on highway, the SQ has already gone out of window. The sound deadening will not help with that. At this point, SPL is the only thing you can optimize, so I'd say add the rear speakers. Hybrid Audio Mirus should be a good choice, specially if the OP already likes the HAT Imagines in front.

If the guy listens music with windows open on highway, the SQ has already gone out of window. The sound deadening will not help with that. At this point, SPL is the only thing you can optimize, so I'd say add the rear speakers. Hybrid Audio Mirus should be a good choice, specially if the OP already likes the HAT Imagines in front.
I was thinking for road noise, he said driving down the highway in general.

Road noise is not really a problem, it's just the wind from having the windows down at higher speeds (highway). I am impressed with the Imagine's up front (especially SQ). Wouldn't the pro audio style of the Neo Pro 6.5"s work better in the rear for this application than Mirus? I am satisfied with the Imagine set, but wouldn't something with more punch be ideal for the back?

A pro audio type of speaker has a lot greater efficiency than standard speakers, so with much less power they will be equally as loud as your front speakers. What I'm getting at is adding PA speakers in the rear is going to pull the sound to the back hard.

Road noise is not really a problem, it's just the wind from having the windows down at higher speeds (highway). I am impressed with the Imagine's up front (especially SQ). Wouldn't the pro audio style of the Neo Pro 6.5"s work better in the rear for this application than Mirus? I am satisfied with the Imagine set, but wouldn't something with more punch be ideal for the back?
Sorry for hijacking the thread, im in a same situation as the thread starter, i also want something loud enough that can be heard even when window is down.

Is The DLS C6A components ok for it which has 93 db/1w/1m & 60 w rms Upto 90 w max. I will be powering them wid Phoenix gold Z500.4 amp @ 75 w rms. These will be 2 in front & 2 in the rear. Will it be loud???

A pro audio type of speaker has a lot greater efficiency than standard speakers, so with much less power they will be equally as loud as your front speakers. What I'm getting at is adding PA speakers in the rear is going to pull the sound to the back hard.
Which would you suggest then for a windows down situation? I get that PA speakers in the rear will be higher volume but wouldn't that be the best way to combat the wind? I have a dedicated EQ with F/R knob for easily adjusting the fade back and forth.

Sundown Neo Pro v2 6.5":

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-11829-pair-of-neopro-65-v2-4-sundown-audio-65-180w-4-ohm-midrange-speaker.aspx

HAT Mirus M61-2 6.5":

http://store.12velectronics.com/mirus-m61-2-coaxial-speaker-set/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.