setup advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

husker77
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Nebraska
I know there are a ton of these threads, everyone asking for help. I have not really bought new equipment in 16 years so I don't really know what is good anymore. Looking to get my kid's new car set up for him for Christmas. It is a 67 Ford Galaxie and real original and in good shape. He doesn't want to cut the dash for a modern stereo or even pull out the old am radio either. Like most kids he only listens to digital music anyway so was thinking of running a sound processor/eq that he can just plug his ipod into, we should be able to mount it under the dash where it wont really stick out but still be easy to reach. Something like

Clarion EQS746 7-Band Graphic Rotary Equalizer / EQ w/Aux Input.

Probably a 2 channel amp to run a set of separates up front and a sub amp and most likely a single sub. I think we can get 6 cubes pretty easy and port it through the rear package tray. He isn't worried about bass you can hear blocks away, just a nice sounding system that can get loud enough.

What can you guys recommend, probably trying to keep it under $500. Also wouldn't mind going used either.

a sound processor is WAAAY different then a regular EQ, hence the extreme price difference. That EQ to me is just a means to tame the harsh highs that come with loud volume and add some midbass to the speakers. I would not run sub rca output through that, only mids and highs and keep the sub hooked to the head unit.

I am very impressed with that EQ I actually just installed it in my jeep last week and it is working great so far.
Cool, good to know.

Kane text me and we can talk about this. I have some ideas for you
You talking to me?

a sound processor is WAAAY different then a regular EQ, hence the extreme price difference. That EQ to me is just a means to tame the harsh highs that come with loud volume and add some midbass to the speakers. I would not run sub rca output through that, only mids and highs and keep the sub hooked to the head unit.
I understand they are not the same, thought about the rf 3sixty.3(or whatever), but is a little more than he wants to deal with. Like I said after a decent daily system. There wont even be a head unit.

For a straight up budget build, ditch the eq, run this bluetooth and allow him to control the volume with the phone... sans cords.
In fact, the whole setup could be in the trunk... out of sight.
No offense but that looks like a cluster, plus no way to really tune anything besides the amp crossovers I guess.

Any one have any other suggestions for eq's?

I think we will just use a couple of my eclipse amps and get a 10" or 12" sub.

Cool, good to know.

You talking to me?

I understand they are not the same, thought about the rf 3sixty.3(or whatever), but is a little more than he wants to deal with. Like I said after a decent daily system. There wont even be a head unit.

No offense but that looks like a cluster, plus no way to really tune anything besides the amp crossovers I guess.

yes I was , the autotek 7007 is a very nice eq better than the clarion

None taken. I just suspected that if you'd built a classic car for your son to drive, you'd be keen on a bit of creative thinking to reach your goals.

As for EQ, there is a lot that can be done with system design that mitigates the need for additional equalization. Not to mention, there is a lot of equalization available for handheld devices.

As I research this more I am really leaning towards a jbl ms-8. We can hid the main part in the glove box or trunk and make a mount to attach the small screen to his ashtray, which he never uses anyway. The remote should allow all the control he would ever need and I would not think he would outgrow it. I will probably need to find a good deal on a used one. Also looking at some of the other processors similar but not as fond of their displays and remotes, if they even have them, but I'm curious if anyone has suggestion of similar products.

Well, we may go over budget. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif He already has the 6.5" front stage, I have all the rca's(stinger expert series) and most of the wiring. I have a couple of eclipse amps I can use and maybe even the 15" TI'S(not sure how well they would work IB) to get him buy till I get my vehicle ready to install them in or he gets his own equipment. He would also be plenty happy just getting the front stage in for now, he is in college and the car is here so he doesn't get to drive it much.

I'm hoping to find a used one closer to the $300 mark. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.