Finding the perfect 12" Sub

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello, I am looking for a 12" subwoofer to put into a ported box. I had a Alpine type s in a sealed box but after turning it up while listening to bass cannon it busted. Right now I am looking for a new sub but am completely lost as to what brand I should buy. I am using a kenwood x700-5 its a 5 channel amp that pushes 500w rms @2 ohms. I am kind of on a budget so it can't be over board. I was thinking $175 max for the sub alone. My friend is getting a RE Audio SEX12D4 for $140 I personally I have never heard anything about them. My other friend just got a 12" alpine type R and he says its amazing. I guess I could just buy one of those 2 but I refuse to buy something with out doing the research first. My type s was a present so I had no choice in the matter but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for all of your help! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just a friendly suggestion but if I were you I would figure out why the type s "busted" how did you set the gain?...Also there are quite a few variables that you should share like box and budget then I am sure the more experienced guys will guide you in the right direction

Was that the old or the new Alpine Type-S? The latest edition has power handling rating up to 500watt RMS.

The RE Audio SEX12D should be a good subwoofer for its price. Some guys on forums hate the company for having "sold out" to Chinese, but for the price $150 it's well built, honest subwoofer comparable to the best in this price range. The Type-R is probably even better: it is supposed to have more xmax travel and lower distortion. I think both will sound awesome if you setup right. The Type-R is optimized for smaller, closer to 1cu ft sealed box, while the RE SEx12 ideally wants something like 1.5-1.7cu ft, as you can check in box modeling software (ignore the recommendations from manufacturer). I am guessing that in this box RE sub may have a slightly better sensitivity and will dig deeper than Type-R in 1cu ft, but Type-R has more room for growth as it can handle up to 1000watt RMS power.

Of course, if you listen your music loud, precautions should be taken to make sure that you do not overdrive your amplifier. High amplitude clipped signal can supposedly easily destroy subwoofers. However, I also wouldn't be all the surprised to hear that a properly installed and operated cheap subwoofer stopped working one day..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.