Running stock alt on 2200 watts

Patthehat033
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Missouri
Hello,

I want some opinions. Do you think I could run a AB VFL 4480 (2200 RMS) on an electrical system that consists of: My stock alt - 105A, The Big 3, 2 Runs of 0 Gauge to the back, and 2 100AH batteries in the back, with a stinger 35AH up front.

Would it stress my alternator too bad?

I think you would be okay. I ran my saz-1500d @ 1ohm with a 80 amp alt, big 3, and a dedicated ground and stayed in the 13's most of the time... with the stock battery.

Big 3 one run 1/0 for power and one for ground. Duralast platinum up front and no batt in back on a rf t1500bdcp. And a stock 130 amp with very little voltage drop. 13.4 was the lowest I saw. I think u would be golden on ur setup.

Hello,
I want some opinions. Do you think I could run a AB VFL 4480 (2200 RMS) on an electrical system that consists of: My stock alt - 105A, The Big 3, 2 Runs of 0 Gauge to the back, and 2 100AH batteries in the back, with a stinger 35AH up front.

Would it stress my alternator too bad?
Those amps are crazy efficient. I asked mylows10 about what electrical I should have when running one when I was debating on buying it from him, and he said big 3 and a small batt in the back would be plenty.

I ran a single aq 2200d @.5 ohm for couple years on a stock scion alt, like 90 amp, stock battery up front, smallest shuriken in the back with 0 problems. No big 3, just 2 runs of 0 gauge

Ive run 2k quite a few times on a stock alt with just big 3 and an agm under the hood. Ive never even had lights dimming.

Sorry to hijack but I have a 03 silverado stock 105a with a CT Sounds 1400d I wont let it drop under 12v but different songs will make it go under 12 but I lower it real quick NOW will I be safe with a XS power d3400 as a starter and do the big 3? I am also upgradeing my alt to a 145a think ill be safe for around 2600 rms?

Lol, well that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but for having 120A of fusing for 2200W of power, I consider that pretty efficient.
Yeah I'll say that's efficient!

120 amps of fuses @ 14 volts is 1680 watts, and that's 100% efficient! To get 2200W RMS it would have to be 130% Efficient!!!!! a new power source LOL.

If it is 70% efficient it would be 1176 watts RMS, which would be more realistic

Sorry to hijack but I have a 03 silverado stock 105a with a CT Sounds 1400d I wont let it drop under 12v but different songs will make it go under 12 but I lower it real quick NOW will I be safe with a XS power d3400 as a starter and do the big 3? I am also upgradeing my alt to a 145a think ill be safe for around 2600 rms?
If you want your battery to last try to keep your voltage above 13.5. The higher you keep your voltage the longer your battery will last.

I have 3000 watts of amps in my van with it 130 amp stock alt and it rarely drops below 14.2 volts. I have a 80 amp (=1136 watts) inline fuse going to all three amps so it CAN'T pull to many amps. Most people run their systems only pulling just fraction of rated power... I think you should be good a 145 amps

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading today on efficiency because I will be installing a saz2500,
And I thought you had a upgraded alt in your grand am?
Yes you are correct, however... Mechman sold me an alternator that keeps breaking...

So I have my OEM in my car currently which has had no problems. If Mechman can't figure it out I might just sell the alternator and use my stock one if I don't necessarily need it.

Yeah I'll say that's efficient!
120 amps of fuses @ 14 volts is 1680 watts, and that's 100% efficient! To get 2200W RMS it would have to be 130% Efficient!!!!! a new power source LOL.

If it is 70% efficient it would be 1176 watts RMS, which would be more realistic
Before this turns into an all out efficiency brawl. This topic has been discussed and just because it is a 120A fuse, does not mean it only pushes 120A of power. The fuse might be able to handle double the amperage for a short amount of time (aka a bass note). According to MyLows the amp has been clamped at 2000-2600 watts.

But yes the amp is very efficient, and for me it is currently working really well, I have had it for several months now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.