Building a box for an 18" does size matter?

Participant count
  • Participants list

adjetta
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Okay, so...I could fit 9 cubes in my trunk, but it would be a pita, is there any reason why a smaller box would not suffice

I plan on running either a fi Sp4 18" or a sundown Z v.4 18"

on a aq2200 at 1 ohm

and the box will be aeroported with a 8" solid dual flared pvc, built out of birch ply, braced and fiberglassed tuned at 28hz

so my question is simply, what would you do?

what is the main difference between say a 6.5 cf box and a 8.5 cf box, I mean what will 2 cf really effect?

the best box I can come up with thats a sure thing, is 37.5 x 14 x 31 @ 7.6 cubes before woofer disp

what is the main difference between say a 6.5 cf box and a 8.5 cf box, I mean what will 2 cf really effect?
the best box I can come up with thats a sure thing, is 37.5 x 14 x 31 @ 7.6 cubes before woofer disp
well depends on the power ur throwing to it ..i think 7.6 before port and wooferr disp is a good number...with a smaller box u can get away with overpowering the sub some ...but if you build a huge box and throw alot to it u can lose woofer control....but unless you plan on adding more power later i think the sp4 and zv4 are a little overkill for the aq ...you can save urself some dough and step down a woofer class and still get great outpur...although the subs mentioned will do plenty fine on that power if ur set on them

well depends on the power ur throwing to it ..i think 7.6 before port and wooferr disp is a good number...with a smaller box u can get away with overpowering the sub some ...but if you build a huge box and throw alot to it u can lose woofer control....but unless you plan on adding more power later i think the sp4 and zv4 are a little overkill for the aq ...you can save urself some dough and step down a woofer class and still get great outpur...although the subs mentioned will do plenty fine on that power if ur set on them
I don't know i'm pretty set on one of the two, but I really don't know which way to go, that sundown is like 50 bucks more

Did a box for a treo audio ssx18" 4" coil like the sp4, like 5.5cubes on a bc2k tuned at 35hz does right at a 147... If I could do it again probably tune to about 37, and about 6 cubes. When I built my single 18" box years ago it just wouldn't do good numbers at all tuned low, I mean like 42's maybe with 7 cubes. Yeah it hit low notes great had no high end whatsoever, I like the treo box cause right at 45hz it's painful, and it still hits a 30hz note easily

I haven't purchased an amp yet, but the aq seems to be the best amp for my budget, i figured I would get good sq off either woofer at 2.2k and get a little loud, but not get at where near the woofers thermal limit, figured it would be a safe bet

I won't have any decent money until the 6th, i'm expecting a fat xmas bonus but that won't help me out on black friday, so i'm paying top dollar and waiting until mid January to get whatever I ordered lol

Oh yeah also to mention my 18" box was on the exact same amp just tuned to 28hz and did a 141.6 compared to the recent box I built tuned at 35hz that did a 146.6. So that's a huge difference, on the same amp.

My honest opinion after seeing both results and peoples reactions, when you got an 18" people wanna hear that BOOM FACTOR, make me saw "ow" or "holy s@#t" and I just didn't get that from low tuning whatsoever. Also when you hit the meter people kinda talk like, "**** that's it?"

Especially when you can get close to the same results from mid 30's tuning. Try 34-35hz with about 16 sq inches per. I wouldn't go any higher than that for an 18. If you want numbers try 37 hz with 16 inches per. And lemme know your results

My x18 hybrid was in 6cu tuned to 27hz and it played pretty loud n flat but I would suggest 5 - 5.5cu tuned to 33hz for optimum bandwidth. I too was using an 8" aero.

Well if he's using any of the subs he stated, he's gonna need bracing and a lot of it, why not kill two birds with one stone (still get loud, brace)? Maybe harder to build and tune but it also cost more money, which seems to be an issue in this equation, to do an aero

I like Aeros because you can always go back and change tunings, and get it where you like it, but I know slots are allot better, but i'm a srub, ill be doing good just getting the box built, let alone bracing and fiberglassing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.