How did i blow my 12inch Kicker Solo X?

TheCandyMan
10+ year member

MI
How did i blow my 12inch Kicker Solo X???

Setup is 2001 pontiac grand prix gt 2door.

0g wire for power and ground.

Kenwood X990 HU.

12inch Kicker Solo X in a 1inch thick ported box to specs/the size of my trunk so box is pretty good size.

Hifonics 2011 Brutus 1700w amp.

My amp is only @ 3/4s the way up on power level.

One day my sub just started to fade in the bass department til there was no more and my voltage was going from 14.3 to 11.3 and making everything dim on my dash with NO BASS at all.

Then it just stopped working with a burning type smell. The speaker wire was hot.

Then it made a bag of chips being crumbled sound when i tryed putting power to it.

Place i got it from said yeah that ****'s blown.

My question is how the **** did it blow? My ground and power are good.

My box is big enough and i wasen't even putting 1500w RMS to it,when it can take 2500w RMS.

HOW DID I BLOW IT!? WHAT COULDA MADE IT BLOW!?!?!

Next question...

Should i re-cone for $125.00.

Or go for a new subwoofer?

He told me i should go with 12in Sundown Z4.

He then showed me a 12in Sundown sub that is right below the Z4(he had in his honda) and said he was putting a massive 3600w RMS amp on it. HOW IN THE **** IS THAT SUB TAKING THAT MUCH WATTS AND MY **** SOUNDED LOUDER WITH 1500W RMS?!!

Lots of questions. I need your help.

HELP!!!!!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Gain is not a louder knob. You clipped the hell out of the sub. With 5you volt head unit your gain shouldn't have been less than quarter up

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Beat me to it

Sundown is better than kicker all day. Next time set your gains with a dmm or oscope. Did you have bass boost up?

Your kicker 'sounded louder' because it was clipping to shit

Edit: fuck I'm slow... what they said

You were clipping, the gain isnt a volume knob. Its to match the voltage of your headunits pre outs. Thats how the sub blew. Your Solo x was louder because those have the cone area closer to that of a 15, and i highly doubt that X was seeing 3600 watts. If you are happy with the way your Solo X sounded I'd get it reconed and fix the gain and you shouldnt have any problems out of it.

You were most likely clipping the shit out of the sub. The gain is not a volume control , 3/4 could have been well into clipping.
Easily clipping on that amp... the gain half way is .5v so 3/4 is somewhere like 800mv? or so... with the voltage of his headunit... should have been set closer to 1/4... Either way, it should have been set with an oscope or dmm...or by someone who knows what they're doing.

smh for people thinking clipped subs are loud and sound good.

Solo X is a fairly decent woofer, but only a 3" coil. If you burned the coil you ran too much power into it for too long. Your friend with the Zv4 doesn't blow that because he knows enough to not play it beyond it's limits.

Buy the recone kit for the Kicker and be a little smarter about how you use your gain and volume.

Ok i forgot to say it's wired at 1ohm and i thought that the gain ment how many watts i was putting to it? So i figured it's putting 12-1500 MAX watts to my sub which isn't even close to the 2500w RMS it can take.. and what on the amp is the power level knob if not the level/gain?

I also am probably gonna upgrade my amp after the BIG 3 with a kicker 2000w amp. But this gets the job done for now.

Ok i forgot to say it's wired at 1ohm and i thought that the gain ment how many watts i was putting to it? So i figured it's putting 12-1500 MAX watts to my sub which isn't even close to the 2500w RMS it can take.. and what on the amp is the power level knob if not the level/gain?I also am probably gonna upgrade my amp after the BIG 3 with a kicker 2000w amp. But this gets the job done for now.
If you send a sub a dirty, clipped signal (even if it is substantially less power than the sub is rated for) you will blow the sub.

Ok i forgot to say it's wired at 1ohm and i thought that the gain ment how many watts i was putting to it? So i figured it's putting 12-1500 MAX watts to my sub which isn't even close to the 2500w RMS it can take.. and what on the amp is the power level knob if not the level/gain?I also am probably gonna upgrade my amp after the BIG 3 with a kicker 2000w amp. But this gets the job done for now.
Better invest in a few extra recone kits if you really believe that sub will handle 2500W for more than a minute.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.