Help me fix this amp?

considering how cheap the amp is I'd probably just buy a new one....
$150 > couple $ replacement capacitor?

aside from that, this will be a great learning experience :)

Cheap? Do you mean price or how it's made. Either way I would disagree. These are good amps. I don't know what size his is and it seems like an older model, but those are good amps.
16-MC1000D

and I agree, I enjoyed it very much while I got to use it.

It sat in a closet for 2 years, went to hook it up today, sparked while installing positive because Im stupid and it was hot, then protect light flashed red and went out.

tried turning amp on and off few times after this, red protect light comes on for half a second, then goes out.

I will enjoy trying to fix this amp, ive been waiting to expand my car audio knowladge into amp repair :)

I wasn't meaning like cheap, as in bad amp i meant cheap like a 100 or so bucks (good used one)... but that was just my opinion, had the same eagerness once upon a time too.. fitted one thing and still didn't work, fixed another and another... lol became frustrating and what was supposed to be a cool little hobby turned out to be a irritating waste of time and money... especially if your going without sounds until you fix it...

Cheap? Do you mean price or how it's made. Either way I would disagree. These are good amps. I don't know what size his is and it seems like an older model, but those are good amps.
cheap i meant a good used one is about a hundred bucks... and for the rest of what I said read post prior 2 this one...

OP, you will have to be VERY careful not to overheat the board with your soldering iron, don't try to desolder the bad cap and resolder the new one in on one run. Space it out over a couple hours to allow the board to cool down. Use a regulated temperature soldering iron if you have access to one.

OP, you will have to be VERY careful not to overheat the board with your soldering iron, don't try to desolder the bad cap and resolder the new one in on one run. Space it out over a couple hours to allow the board to cool down. Use a regulated temperature soldering iron if you have access to one.
thank you for the input

any suggestions on where to order a new capacitor?

any suggestions on where to order a new capacitor?
Capacitors | Mouser

99%+ of the time amp repair isn't just simply replacing one component that looks bad. If you don't really understand how an amp works and have proper test equipment you likely won't get too far.... that's why guys that know what they're doing bill 80$ an hour for bench time.

I really doubt replacing that cap is going to repair your issue. To me it looks like the shrink wrap has come off of the cap and thats about it. The top of it doesn't appear to be bulging at all at least not from what I can see on my phone. Like was mentioned even if that cap were bad there is still a good chance the amp could work ok.

You are saying that the protect light comes on for a few seconds and then goes out......... lots of amps do that. Many amps out there that power on in protect for a few seconds before they fully power on. After the protect light goes out do you hear a click from the amp? I am assuming your power light is not coming on after the protect light goes out . Have you tried to see if the amp is actually working after the protect light goes out? I had one of these very same amps with a bad power on LED. You may have nothing more than a bad power on LED if you haven't confirmed that the amp does or does not have output. Also wondering where your fuses are. There are two empty fuse holders right next to the cap with the bad shrink wrap

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.