New amp help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Khammett1962
10+ year member

Hello, I am buying a new amp for my speakers and I need just a small amount of help. I have Infiniti kappa's 4x6s in the front and 6x9s in the rear. The amp I have now is very cheap and very, very old. Its only like 30 watts RMS a channel which leaves something to be desired. The 6x9s are 110 watts RMS and the amp I'm looking at (because I can get it new for very, very cheap) puts out 110 Watts RMS. Now, the 4x6's are only 60 watts. I don't want to kill them. The amp is a Soundstream TX4.440. I heard they were good amps and I'm only paying $50 new for it. I can do the TA4.280 which is a newer model from him for $65 which will make it 70 watts a piece but I don't know what one to do. I know you can damage from over power and under power doesn't hurt. Opinions? Thanks

It is a cheap old Rampage amp from like 12 years ago that I got from Kmart. It distorts so bad and I dont want to stress the amp then blow the speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
110 on 60w speakers COULD be a problem, but only if you let it.

keep the gain low and the HPF high enough and those speakers should be fine.

Do some extended listening tests with various types of music once you get it installed.

If ANYTHING makes the speakers sound stressed either reduce the gain a little or increase your HPF setting - or both.

With those basic precautions those speakers should run fine on that amp.

you can adjust the gain for front or rear channels, i would get the more powerful ones since you loose about 20% since most amps are only efficient 80% and the TX4.440 has a 40a fuse so it should at least do 75w per channel and n2 is correct you can tune the hpf higher on smaller speakers so u dont get distortion. hope this helps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.