Can my car handle this?

Boomstang99

Ohio
The car is a 99 cavalier, has like a 60-70 amp alternator i think. I'm looking to run two alpine type R 12's on about 1200-1600rms total. I know the stock electric cant handle that so what do you guys think i should do to run that much power?

The cavalier has a 105 amp alternator so its a lil bigger than what i thought. But where do you guys reccomend buying a alternator from? That wont break the bank. And im a fan of hifonics amps. Ive had good results with them and there pretty cheap.

The cavalier has a 105 amp alternator so its a lil bigger than what i thought. But where do you guys reccomend buying a alternator from? That wont break the bank. And im a fan of hifonics amps. Ive had good results with them and there pretty cheap.
Just a little tip if you cant afford an extra battery or ho alt at least do big 3 and get a capacitor

Im not looking to spend 600 on a alternator for a crapalier when i only want to run like 1200 rms lol. Heck ill put a bigger system in my mustang they can handle some high power with just a extra battery and big 3. And rate now i have a hifonics glx1000.1d amp running around 750rms im the stang. So id probably just put that in the cavalier for the winter. I was just wonder if i could run that much power in that kinda car. Ill probably just play it safe and run 750 rms or less in that car for my daily driver.

big difference between 105A and 60A.

in that case, start with a good battery and the big 3. see what happens. monitor voltage with a meter visible while driving (i.e. dash). cig lighter meters are fine for this. if you drop below 12.5 and stay there, turn it down until the voltage comes back up. if you get tired of that process, buy a new alt and budget $300-$400. gotta pay to play.

otherwise you'll just keep killing batteries and spend more on batteries than an alt.

So you're saying its possible. I plan on upgrading the battery regardless of how much power im running. So ill save up and do the big three as well. I barely even turn my system up in the mustang. lol so not like o plan on blasting it full power all day everyday. Is it cheaper to just buy straight 1/0 gauge wiring than a big three kit?

Just a little tip if you cant afford an extra battery or ho alt at least do big 3 and get a capacitor
Do us a favor and never listen to this person ^^^^. Do not ever buy a capacitor, they are useless unless you have a few supercaps but I wouldn't even think about that..

With a 105a alt, you may get away with running 1500w on it. Do the big 3 in 1/0 (or 2/0) oxygen free copper OFC. I would put a decent AGM up front and a nice G31 in back.

The AGM Duracell batts at Sam's Club are rebadged Dekas made by eastpenn, much cheaper than Deka also.

Do us a favor and never listen to this person ^^^^. Do not ever buy a capacitor, they are useless unless you have a few supercaps but I wouldn't even think about that..
With a 105a alt, you may get away with running 1500w on it. Do the big 3 in 1/0 (or 2/0) oxygen free copper OFC. I would put a decent AGM up front and a nice G31 in back.

The AGM Duracell batts at Sam's Club are rebadged Dekas made by eastpenn, much cheaper than Deka also.
You dont have to say that like I'm a dumb ***. I know a lot about car audio now days. I've never used a capacitor so I dont know jack about them. I've just heard they help cut down on the draw from battery

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.