Any difference in Jl Audio 12w7 and 13w7

atownmack
10+ year member

I have been proposed to trade my older 12" Memphis Mojo M3 for a JL Audio 13w7. I know people on here and other forums feel JL's products are overpriced, but keep in mind we are not exchanging any money only doing a trade! Years ago I heard a JL 12w7 and it was impressive, but I prefer the Mojo just a little more because it plays louder, however that was years ago when I heard that sub and was before I realized that enclosure and the vehicle itself play a large role in sound. After Goggling 12w7 vs Memphis Mojo, it appears peoples opinions are split about 50/50, leading me to believe they are very similar. My question to you is is there a significant difference in the 12w7 and 13w7? I called Jl and they said it is, (but their opinion is a biased.)

I'm interested in trading, but only if the 13w7 will be a noticeable difference. Let me know what you all think of this trade. The car is a Toyota Camry if that makes a difference.

I'm concerned over output. I love how loud the Memphis Mojo gets and how low it drops! I just don't want to trade for the 13w7 and be disappointed. Does the 13w7 play very loud and low?

dont forget the w7 is a dual 1.5 ohm.... factor that in with the amp you will be running..... if they both are getting 1000rms or so. W7 all day, they are indeed heavily overpriced, BUT they get loud and low as F.U.C.K with everything done right.

so the 13w7 hits much harder and lower than the 12w7? I'm concerned about output, As I love loud the mojo gets and how low it drops!
with a 12, your getting 113.1 in^2 of cone area, a 13 nets you 132.7 in^2. You might lose some output if the trade was a for a 12 W7 since memphis motors are geared towards spl, but with a 13W7 has a bit more cone area to make up in output for it being an SQ based sub.

Money-wise its a much more obvious choice, 13 W7s retain a lot of craigslist value whereas memphis wont sell as high.

with a 12, your getting 113.1 in^2 of cone area, a 13 nets you 132.7 in^2. You might lose some output if the trade was a for a 12 W7 since memphis motors are geared towards spl, but with a 13W7 has a bit more cone area to make up in output for it being an SQ based sub.
Money-wise its a much more obvious choice, 13 W7s retain a lot of craigslist value whereas memphis wont sell as high.
You are so right, at the very least I can always sell it for more than the mojo!

Thanks for the great info everyone. Let me tell you guys what happen. This trade for my Mojo for a 13w7 was to be between myself and a co-workers brother. When we meet up to make the exchange he tells me that he made a typo, and that it is a 13w6, not 13w7!!!! Needless to say I was pissed. He try to play me for a fool. No trade //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.