Bypassing Factory Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

sizzl3r
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Minnesota
Whats up /gen

I'm helping a friend install a new HU in his 2004 Trailblazer. I've done enough HU install's before for this to be pretty easy. Got everything soldered and connected, and even fed a remote wire to an ignition fuse because his ignition on the harness wasn't getting any power. Got everything working except the deck doesn't play sound. Checked fuses and all are good.

I realized that he probably had the Bose system in his car, and looked online and saw that people were buying special harnesses for their trailblazers. awesome

I think I know what the problem is though. The factory amp he has in there is what powers the speakers, and since it isn't being powered on anymore, there wont be any sound coming out of the speakers. I just need to figure out how to tap into the remote wire of the factory amp so turn it on. I read through a few forums and people are saying its a pink wire in the factory harness, but I checked and there is not a pink wire to be seen.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience in bypassing factory amps? Shouldnt be this hard but I'm stressing over it. No one wants to spend an extra $100 on this surprise harness.

Try googling around for a service manual. You may have to pay for it but I found one for my 2010 vehicle for only like $20 and one of the documents is a wiring document for the entire vehicle including the factory amplifier stuff.

you should be able to just connect the remote wire on both harnesses.
I have no idea where the remote wire is :p Checked online and people said it was a pink one but I dont see a pink one in here.

you're playing with the Class II Data Bus system and by not buying the GMOS adapter that retains safety chimes and other data you have compromised the safety of the vehicle. The ONLY approved method of replacing the head unit is to buy the appropriate GMOS adapter. A bypass of the safety chimes is not recommended and you are proceeding at your own risk in doing so. (example: since the seat belt chimes will no longer work, if someone doesn't wear one and the vehicle isn't in an accident, they can claim that their injuries are your fault because there were not reminded by the chime, and because you bypassed a known safety item, his insurance company can choose not to cover him.) in the eyes of the law, bypassing safety chimes is like removing air bags.

there is no ignition wire or turn-on wire because of the data bus system. the GMOS-04 adapter will give proper ignition as well as amp turn-on/amp interface.

Metra Online

http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INSTGMOS-04_web.pdf

list of the GMOS-4 features you retain:

• Provides accessory (12-volt 10-amp)

• Retains R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power)

• Used in amplified systems

• Retains chimes

• Provides NAV outputs (Parking Brake, Reverse, Mute, V.S.S.)

• ASWC harness included (ASWC not included)

• Retains OnStar/OE Bluetooth

• Adjustable volume for chimes and OnStar

• High level speaker input

• USB updatable

• Retains balance and fader

It's not a Bose system but external amps are common regardless. Until he replaces all of the speakers you will reuse the stock amp and their built-in filters.

i know the cost of the harness is steep, and to make matters worse they are also unreliable. If you want to do installs for your friends, you need to do them correctly and not be a hack. Doing a correct install means buying the necessary interfaces and not compromising the vehicle's safety or other features.

Went and bought the adapter ^. Soldered everything and we still have no sound. Could really use some help now...

The amps probably got an issue. Go to the amp, pull the plugs, find the output side and try to pop the speakers. If they pop you either have an input related issue, the amp isn't being turned on or the amp has a problem.

The amps probably got an issue. Go to the amp, pull the plugs, find the output side and try to pop the speakers. If they pop you either have an input related issue, the amp isn't being turned on or the amp has a problem.
Well the amp not being turned on is definitely the issue. I took it to a somewhat professional...He couldnt do much. Everywhere I've read said that the remote wire for this factory amp is "the pink one under the steering column"... there's probably 20+ pink wires, so he went in with a volt meter and tried to find one that had no power when the car was off & on, but with no luck.

Turns out the harness is known to be faulty...we're really hoping thats the issue because I've never been more lost in an install before. Since we bought the harness from bestbuy, we're gonna take it to them and have them look at it since it was faulty. Shouldnt charge us anything since its their problem. Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I'll be taking the best buy walk of shame within the week. :p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.