Subs Suddenly Not Hitting as Hard PLEASE HELP

SrN95

Alright, so to start I've got 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Subs being powered by an 1100 watt Quantum QXA1100m installed in my 2012 Honda Civic. Recently I've been experiencing a BIG problem with them and the speakers in general.

The Problem: It's as if all the volume in my car has been cut in half. I used to turn it up to 20 and it would hit very hard and the speakers were fairly loud, now it's like I only have it turned up to 10 or 20. I'm using the stock headunit and have a hi-low adapter on the speakers. Bottom line is that the subs aren't hitting near as hard as they were just days before and its not like they just blew out in the middle of a song, I went out and started my car and had very weak bass.

What I've Tried: I have checked the ground, which is solid and down on bare metal. I have made sure that all wires a secured on the amp in the correct location. I've checked RCA cables as well. Checked all fuses.

Temporary Success: I was able to get the subs and volume back to how they used to be, but it eventually slipped back into being very weak. All I did to fix the problem was move the RCA cables from the bottom two inputs on the amp to the top two, but it didn't fix the problem long, as it is back to being messed up

Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this to happen? One second the bass was fine the next its very weak. I've had the system for almost a year now and it's worked flawlessly up until now, any reply is much appreciated.

Alright, so to start I've got 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Subs being powered by an 1100 watt Quantum QXA1100m installed in my 2012 Honda Civic. Recently I've been experiencing a BIG problem with them and the speakers in general.
The Problem: It's as if all the volume in my car has been cut in half. I used to turn it up to 20 and it would hit very hard and the speakers were fairly loud, now it's like I only have it turned up to 10 or 20. I'm using the stock headunit and have a hi-low adapter on the speakers. Bottom line is that the subs aren't hitting near as hard as they were just days before and its not like they just blew out in the middle of a song, I went out and started my car and had very weak bass.

What I've Tried: I have checked the ground, which is solid and down on bare metal. I have made sure that all wires a secured on the amp in the correct location. I've checked RCA cables as well. Checked all fuses.

Temporary Success: I was able to get the subs and volume back to how they used to be, but it eventually slipped back into being very weak. All I did to fix the problem was move the RCA cables from the bottom two inputs on the amp to the top two, but it didn't fix the problem long, as it is back to being messed up

Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this to happen? One second the bass was fine the next its very weak. I've had the system for almost a year now and it's worked flawlessly up until now, any reply is much appreciated.
You may have a bad RCA cable that is only working half the time. Play some music, unplug them one at a time while it is playing. If the sound does not change when one is unplugged one of them isn't working. Sometimes bass is mono and this won't apply.. I prefer to run my sub amp off front or rear signal on the HU and let the amp do the filtering, instead of the sub.

I noticed you said your amp has two sets of inputs, I'm assuming front and rear if it's a 4 channel amp. Some amps need a signal on front and rear to make full power... Others have a setting for just front input or both. Check it out and see what you find. If it's only a two channel make sure they are both in the input and not output.

I check the RCA cable like you said, unplugging one at a time, and the sound DID change, I even tried switching up the inputs I used and this did not help, I'm really at a loss for what the problem could be...

Alright thanks for the help everyone! I swapped out the RCA cables and BOOM it was working again, but just out of curiosity I plugged the old ones in the see the difference using the same song at the same volume and they were working again...is it possible for RCA cables to be so temperamental? Working one second and broke then next? Regardless I'm going to be using the other RCA cables for now since I know they will work, but is there any causes to have RCA cables fail that I don't know of? I've never had RCA cables go bad on me before, any causes I need to look out for in the future?

Thanks everyone for the help! Hopefully this solution will fix the problem permanently!

Alright thanks for the help everyone! I swapped out the RCA cables and BOOM it was working again, but just out of curiosity I plugged the old ones in the see the difference using the same song at the same volume and they were working again...is it possible for RCA cables to be so temperamental? Working one second and broke then next? Regardless I'm going to be using the other RCA cables for now since I know they will work, but is there any causes to have RCA cables fail that I don't know of? I've never had RCA cables go bad on me before, any causes I need to look out for in the future?
Thanks everyone for the help! Hopefully this solution will fix the problem permanently!
Yes, just like any cable if there is a break in the line they can touch again and work but as soon as it is moved just a fraction of an inch it will cut out again. I currently have a similar problem with my xbox microphone cord //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif

Alright so after replacing the RCA cables and having it work for a few days, the problem has again risen...The last thing I could thing of would be that the factory amp has gone bad, that would affect both the speakers and sub since the sub rca cables are just spliced into the speakers using a hi-low converter correct?

Is it at all possible that the factory amp would be the culprit? Thanks for the help guys

Yes, that's probably it. It's generally frowned upon to use high-low converters because of situations like this, I'd run RCAs from up front if you can. Maybe time to do a complete overhaul of the sound system, new speakers, HU, amp for speakers, etc.?

Oh wow I noticed my sub got weak like I turned my sub all the way down. After y’all said check the rc’s cables I noticed they were both fine and so started looking at my controls. Somehow something flip the xcross switch from low pass over to high and it was filtering out all my lows lol soon as flipped it back boom my single 10 inch Walmart kicker sub started to pound again with its orellys amplifier again. I was worried being mounted in my armrest of the jeep that the seat finally frozed up my speaker. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.