Ascendant audio mayhem question

I'm asking if it's bad to underpower them by a couple hundred watts. I don't want to harm them. My vehicle is stock right now but I have a dd m4 amp, 320a mechman alt, xs d3400 and 2 xs xp3000's sitting in my room waiting to be installed. I will be running 3 power and 3 ground to the rear. My amp will do 4950w at 14.4 volts so that's what I will running around. I will also be at a 1 ohm load.

You'll be fine as long as you set your gains properly. No one has ever blown a speaker by underpowering it. Under powered and clipped will blow any speaker but under powered and clean signal is fine.

I'm asking if it's bad to underpower them by a couple hundred watts. I don't want to harm them. My vehicle is stock right now but I have a dd m4 amp, 320a mechman alt, xs d3400 and 2 xs xp3000's sitting in my room waiting to be installed. I will be running 3 power and 3 ground to the rear. My amp will do 4950w at 14.4 volts so that's what I will running around. I will also be at a 1 ohm load.
You can't damage a sub by underpowering it, it's just a huge myth

You'll be fine as long as you set your gains properly. No one has ever blown a speaker by underpowering it. Under powered and clipped will blow any speaker but under powered and clean signal is fine.
Thanks man. But yeah I'll be setting gains with a dmm. My bass knob has a clipping indicator in it. I hope to not have any problems! Haha.

Thanks man. But yeah I'll be setting gains with a dmm. My bass knob has a clipping indicator in it. I hope to not have any problems! Haha.
What head unit are you using, because if your head unit is sending a clipped signal, a DMM won't help much with dirty power.

Amps are dumb. They amplify whatever signal you send them so if you send them a dirty signal, your DMM will show X volts but that X volts might be a dangerously clipped signal.

I asked what head unit you're using because a lot of people have already checked certain models for the volume level at which they clip. If you can't check that with a DD-1 or scope, there may be someone who has already done that and shared it or, will pop in and share. Also... will you be running a processor? Because that has an effect on the signal as well.

What head unit are you using, because if your head unit is sending a clipped signal, a DMM won't help much with dirty power.
Amps are dumb. They amplify whatever signal you send them so if you send them a dirty signal, your DMM will show X volts but that X volts might be a dangerously clipped signal.

I asked what head unit you're using because a lot of people have already checked certain models for the volume level at which they clip. If you can't check that with a DD-1 or scope, there may be someone who has already done that and shared it or, will pop in and share. Also... will you be running a processor? Because that has an effect on the signal as well.
I currently am running a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

under powered and clipped wont blow every speaker... only if the coil cant take the added thermal stresss caused by less cooling of motor while the sub does not complete its linear stroke during a square wave in proprtion to the added power of said sqaure wave. You can only take a square wave so far, so take a sub that can take a ton of thermal abuse and run it on a smaller amp with a full on square wave and it could potentially run like that forever. Misleading statement!

under powered and clipped wont blow every speaker... only if the coil cant take the added thermal stresss caused by less cooling of motor while the sub does not complete its linear stroke during a square wave in proprtion to the added power of said sqaure wave. You can only take a square wave so far, so take a sub that can take a ton of thermal abuse and run it on a smaller amp with a full on square wave and it could potentially run like that forever. Misleading statement!

No, the misleading statement is the one that stretches the boundaries of reason. If it were common for people to ask "Can I send dirty 5 watt power to a 500 watt sub 24 hours a day?" then I would concede. But that's not what we're discussing. We're discussing real world scenarios with real amplifiers and real speakers.

If OP was wondering if a 5 watt square wave would destroy a 500 watt inductor, I would think he'd have posed that question on a physics or electronics forum and not a car audio forum. ;-)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.