Suggestions are very welcome, I'm no expert. Box for 2 Xcon 15's into a Jimmy.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hunter0811
10+ year member

VA
Looking at two Xcon 15's, to go in a Jimmy off of 3600 RMS ultimately (they might be running on 1800 for a bit). I've sketched up a few boxes but I would like to see what someone else comes up with. Maximum dimensions are 38W, 28T,30D. Anything goes in terms of bracing. I was thinking subs up/port up, but I'm open to suggestions. There is room for port to the side as well, so that's not necessarily off the table. I listen to everything, but emphasis will be decaf/bass heavy music playing low. Metal/Rock are also a concern, but I understand the trade-off there. Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice

If you can mount them inverted, you may have enough space for a t-line. And if you do, you won't have to worry about what kind of music you play, it will all sound good at any volume level.

Well, except for country... it never sounds good. :)

All we need to know is the Sd of the drivers. The Fs is ~31 Hz, so the line will need to be 9' long but we need to know the area.

As intriguing as a T-line is, wouldn't that require far more airspace than available? I'll admit I know very very little about the actual design process, though the concept isn't lost on me. My current Torres box ideas are averaging 7-8 cubes net, 11.5-13 gross. I'll also admit I'm not really a fan of inverting subs, this will be a daily driver that gets used and abused.

Well, they would have to be inverted for two to go in that airspace but I couldn't say for sure how much you'd need without the Sd of the drivers. And for sure, drivers with a bit higher Fs would be easier to fit but if you're opposed to inverted then there's not much use in modeling.

The likely hood of having enough volume for a T-line is very very small. Not to mention even a standard bass reflex enclosure if designed properly will work rather impressively and for a wide range of music.

I regularly throw fishing poles and the like into the back. Seems like having them inverted would make me more likely to snag one. I have two Gcon 12's right now, running in the recommended dual Icon enclosure design from SSA. The overall response is good and they are very musical. I would just like a bit more volume and low end. That being said, these Gcon's play surprisingly low. I just took my box and flipped it subs/port up instead of back, and was totally unimpressed (did it just for curiosity sake). Makes me wonder, regarding port/sub direction

Last edited by a moderator:
Also meant to ask what port configuration, depending on the vehicle. For giggles, anyone have any thoughts on the AA Mayhem's? Similar price class

I have 2 mayhem 15s in 9.5 cubes at 35 hertz On 3000 rms and its pretty loud. Gonna step up to 8k in power soon tho Can't go wrong with mayhems

Last edited by a moderator:
They aren't much more cost wise, roughly 50 per sub. It seems the general consensus on the SSA Xcon's are that they have a good balance between sound quality and volume. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. The Gcon's that I have are a great balance, and get pretty loud for a pair of 12's running >1000RMS. However they simply aren't as loud as I would like. The Ascendant's seem to be well regarded, but I've never heard any of their products first hand. My other concern would be how those Ascendants react to being slight underpowered, 700ish below their RMS rating each.

Subs dont' know how much power they are having applied to them. Asking how them perform under RMS is like asking how they'd perform with RMS, when you turn the volume knob down, (that would also be under RMS lol). That's the LAST thing you ever worry about when it comes to speakers, underpowering. AA does make nice speakers and they tend to play upper bass better than most of FI's stuff, but that wasn't a concern of yours so I wouldn't bother making a switch. The xcons like space, especially if you want them to play low, invert mounting really does seem like the best solution here, just get the subs high enough off the ground and I dont' imagine you'd snag them if you were half way being careful. It'll buy you an extra .5 cube or so I'd imagine.

How did the sub up port up sound on upper bass notes? Ignore the 30hz and down stuff, try some tones and see how much you gain lose from 40hz and up. If you find that most of your loss was the 40 and down stuff, you could do a sub up port back combo. That would get the port playing lows loading off the back and get the subs off the ground where they shouldn't catch anything.

They aren't much more cost wise, roughly 50 per sub. It seems the general consensus on the SSA Xcon's are that they have a good balance between sound quality and volume. That's pretty much what I'm looking for. The Gcon's that I have are a great balance, and get pretty loud for a pair of 12's running >1000RMS. However they simply aren't as loud as I would like. The Ascendant's seem to be well regarded, but I've never heard any of their products first hand. My other concern would be how those Ascendants react to being slight underpowered, 700ish below their RMS rating each.
just a fyi , ascendant makes the ssa subs

I've heard that regarding Fi/SSA/AA parts. I think I'm going to stick with the Xcon's, playing low is certainly a concern. I did run some tones and sweeps, there was a loss at virtually every frequency. I'm well aware of how a speaker works and how they handle power, however I've certainly experienced speakers that haven't impressed me until put on near their rated power. If there is any one perk to the Mayhem's in my mind, it's that I won't worry so much about damage if I'm under powering them. Plus of course the overhead for the future, if I want to add power. Sub displacement is around .4 cubes iirc btw, for the Xcon's. My current plan unless talked out of it, has been to go subs up and port back with port on the driver side. I figure if I'm unimpressed I'll just make a second box afterwords. Space saving is less and less of a concern for me. I'm moving my amp rack setup which will give me a bit more box space, I could theoretically go as large as 11-12 cubic feet net. You say the Xcon's like space, and SSA recommends 4 cubic feet per. Any experience with their performance in something larger than that?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.