Thinking of downsizing

Dmac1991

'12 Focus Bangin
I currently have a 12" AT Strato in a 1.5cf box tuned to 35hz. While I do love it, Im thinking about going with a single 10" RE Sxx in a 2cf box tuned to 32 hz.

Would I lose a ton of output going with a single 10 being fed 600-700 watts as opposed to the 12" I currently have being fed 500?

I've heard 10s dont play as low as 12s but are more sq oriented. Is this true, and if so, what would I be able to do to enable the 10 to play as low as possible?

What's the point? SQ isn't dictated by subwoofer size. My current 21 can play as a midbass if you wanted it to and my last 15 before that could be used as a midrange (srs). Both can also play well below 20hz in the right box and do both at the same time lol. Your not going to gain SQ by dropping woofer size, you'll actually be adding more distortion, all things equal. What do you REALLY want out of your setup that your not getting now, then I can help answer your real question properly. As it is right now, your trying to switch from a truck to a car, because you want to go "faster". It doesn't always work like that...

My 10s play just a low as any other sub. I actually had them playing down to 23 hertz a while back so saying they won't play low is definately not true You just won't get as much from a 10 as apposed to a 12 or 15. Because of cone size

Last edited by a moderator:
so if I were to go with a 10" XFL, I'd be able to hammer the lows and still keep the same amount of output?
What exactly is wrong with your current setup that you would want to change?

Going from 1.5 cubes to 2 cubes is not downsizing.

my current setup is ok but the lows just aren't there.

I can currently get a 10" XFL for 145 dollars so I was contemplating going with that and I heard XFL's like bigger boxes so I was gonna get a 2cf box after displacement built for it.

35hz is a bit high of tuning if 30hz and below is your main target, depending on the car this could be expected. You could try a slightly larger box and drop tuning some. 1.75 at 30hz would increase your 30hz performance by a good bit. Going to a smaller sub size isn't going to give you a huge change, you have enough room to do a larger box with a 12, I'd stick with that.

I have a 2012 Ford Focus sedan lol. So if I kept my AT 12, and gave it a 2cf box tuned at like 32hz instead, I should expect better performance?

just the AT is only rated for 400 rms and although it bangs, I would need a higher powered sub?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.