Hertz hsk 165 XL question

Participant count
  • Participants list
where you set crossovers will be largely determined by your specific installation and angles relative to on-axis for each ear. you need to factor in beaming and polar response into your crossover point planning. then let your ears be the judge from there.

where you set crossovers will be largely determined by your specific installation and angles relative to on-axis for each ear. you need to factor in beaming and polar response into your crossover point planning. then let your ears be the judge from there.
Thank you for the input!

if you have more detailed questions on that, feel free to ask. i'll need pics of mounting (with and without door panel on), distances and angles relative to center axis on each, and distances to each.
At the moment i'm really deciding on whether to go active or not, as far as how much better it sounds, is it worth the trouble? I'd either be going active with a MB Quart RA1000.4 as the amp and a Pioneer 80prs as the headunit. If I didn't go active i'd add 6x9's to the back deck of my car.

i can say this: i don't use passive crossovers in a car and I don't use rear speakers either (unless specifically processed as rear fill).

it depends on what your goals are. if you want a good sound stage and you want the speakers to sound as good as they can - run active. if you just want more speakers in the car, go passive and add rears. neither will necessarily be louder than the other. active can usually mean more cleaner output so you can play louder before distortion. adding another pair of speakers can only give you, at best, 3dB more output if they have the same sensitivity and power applied. if you have a sub, rear deck 6x9 are pointless and only hinder bass from the trunk.

When running active your going to really be setting the tweeters volume by ear. I wouldnt' worry too much about RMS of them because odds are, you'll never be putting the RMS power on them anyways. Generally when a setup goes from passive to active I find the tweeters need to have the gain turned down a vs the mids. Usually tweets are more effecient than the mids and the stock crossover attenuates them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.