overall I've been disappointed

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
I'd like to think I have quality equipment. 2 AT strato 15's on a bk1800.1, 2cubes sealed per sub.

....But I just can't get loud. I mean the windshield shakes, but I can't get NOWHERE near ear-hurting loud. Ain't happening.....

What am I doing wrong? Is it the sealed box? Are these subs inefficient? Is the amp crap? wtf?

The amp can do 1,100wrms at 2 ohms which I have it wired to. I know music signal strength fluctuates, I know that music is recorded at different amplitudes, that's why I boost bass on certain songs with Audacity.

Maybe I haven't tuned the amp correctly? I do use a DMM and have tuned it the why I want it. But when I play certain songs that have bass recorded/boosted to -3db or higher, it's just not impressive when the subs pull 1,000 watts.

I notice sometimes I turn up the volume to a point where the kick drums in my rap music don't get any louder but the bass lines do get louder because they are recorded at lower amplitude. Maybe I have more range than I thought. Is it OK to clip the hell out of kick drum signals? The amp is rated 1,100watts at 2 ohms, is it OK to pull 1500-2000watts for percussion kicks, just so the bass lines can be closer to 800-1,000wrms or will I damage the amp and subs?

I can't wait to build some 4th orders. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

You're not gonna have ear hurting bass on 1100rms or with sealed(unless it's a huge build)
I may have been mislead in the world of car audio. I thought 2 15's and a kilowatt of power would be impressive. I was wrong.

My uncle used to have a pair of kenwood 10's ported on 1,000watts and we couldn't breath. wtf.

My cousin has 2 12's ported on 500watts and it's about as loud as my setup.

Both of them had them in SUV's. I have mine in the trunk with 6x9 holes open and armrest down.

iv'e been told the car its in makes a HUGE difference. I had two aq 12's in my trunk, when i sold em they guy tested them on his amp (puts out same rms as myn) in his SUV, and i have never heard those subs hit so **** hard before. I looked all surprized and hes like "what you didnt think theyd work or something" lol. some cars are just harder to get louder in. bad acoustics or something

I may have been mislead in the world of car audio. I thought 2 15's and a kilowatt of power would be impressive. I was wrong.
My uncle used to have a pair of kenwood 10's ported on 1' date='000watts and we couldn't breath. wtf.

Both of them had them in SUV's. I have mine in the trunk with 6x9 holes open and armrest down.[/quote']

I was in a truck with a wall with 4 15" dc level 5s on 14k.... I couldn't breathe in that.

I've had 2 12s sealed on 600 watts or so in a trunk set up that was decently loud. Not loud enough to bother me, but loud enough non bass heads couldn't stand it. Maybe you were expecting too much? Hard to imagine 2 decent 15s and 1k not being decently loud though. Is there plenty of room for air to flow into the cabin? Which way are the subs facing? Are you sure you set the gains correctly?

My uncle used to have a pair of kenwood 10's ported on 1' date='000watts and we couldn't breath. wtf. [/b']

Both of them had them in SUV's. I have mine in the trunk with 6x9 holes open and armrest down.

You just thought it was loud when you first heard it. It wasn't....

As mentioned you're out of the trunk, sealed, and 1kw of power. Not going to choke out anyone with that set up...

You just thought it was loud when you first heard it. It wasn't....
As mentioned you're out of the trunk, sealed, and 1kw of power. Not going to choke out anyone with that set up...
I somewhat disagree. To an average person 2 15s on 1k can be plenty loud. Ive had lesser set ups impress everyone that heard it and most would make me turn it down... Average people don't run 5k watts and huge subwoofers. A pair of 15s on 1k is a pretty decent set up for an average person IMO. By the way he describes the set up, it sounds like maybe something isn't set up properly and it isn't reaching its potential. I know it wouldn't make most of us here tap out, but I still say it should be decently loud, even to the point of being somewhat "uncomfortable" to the average person at full tilt.

I somewhat disagree. To an average person 2 15s on 1k can be plenty loud. Ive had lesser set ups impress everyone that heard it and most would make me turn it down... Average people don't run 5k watts and huge subwoofers. A pair of 15s on 1k is a pretty decent set up for an average person IMO. By the way he describes the set up, it sounds like maybe something isn't set up properly and it isn't reaching its potential. I know it wouldn't make most of us here tap out, but I still say it should be decently loud, even to the point of being somewhat "uncomfortable" to the average person at full tilt.
If you noticed I bolded his 2 10's set up. As for the current set up if he only has the ski pass and 6x9 holes then not much bass is getting into the cabin...

If you noticed I bolded his 2 10's set up. As for the current set up if he only has the ski pass and 6x9 holes then not much bass is getting into the cabin...
Since we are being a smart a$$.. notice I said nothing about your reply about the 2 10s. I was referring to your statement that he's "not going to choke anyone out" with the current set up. I just think some of us lose perspective because we get used to high powered, large subwoofer set ups and forget the "little guys". My only point was that 2 15s on 1k sealed, in a trunk,what ever DOES have the potential to be very loud to an average person that's not used to the larger set ups we are accustomed to. Maybe I'm over estimating the set up.. but as I said, I've had lesser set ups that made people not want to ride with me.

I asked a few questions to get more information on what's going on with the set up. Simply saying "its 2 subs sealed on 1k, it *****" doesn't really help anyone. For all we know he has them wired wrong, facing the wrong direction, gains set incorrectly or any other number of things that would keep his set up from reaching its potential.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.