reading material for box building?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Villainstone
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hello im interested in learning more about box building. I would like to eventually build n design boxes for friends n other ppl for extra cash on the side. Google hasn't been very useful in terms of advancing past the basics. So im hoping maybe someone has some links to some good material to advance my knowledge. Thanks fellas.

Wow I let this go for 2 weeks and not one post lol. What I'm really looking for is info about the details of box building. Details beyond cutting and gluing. Im not even sure if I am explaining myself clearly...

If you have specific questions, fire away. Other than that, try:
The Subwoofer DIY Page.

Speaker Enclosure Volume Calculator

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

This is a good book. I read the first iteration of Weems' book when I was like ten and I'm pretty friggin old compared to the average bass nerd. ;-)

There are also some pretty good tutorials in the subwoofer section of this website but I'm not sure about technical write ups.
I read this in a reply from you to another member lol.

The second design is good, the first is not. But, with the second design for a 15, you'll need bracing in the center of the box because the top, which needs to be removable, will be a large panel. It would also be good to laminate that panel for added strength.
Oh and, I've modeled a few boxes for that driver so far but haven't had much luck getting a wide enough passband. I'm thinking that driver wants to be in a 6th order, as the EBP is somewhere around 75. But, I'll keep trying on the 4th order.
I think this is a great example of what I am looking to learn. Basically I would like to get material that will teach me this kind of knowledge. I read that post and was thinking how the hell does he know this? Essentially this is the kind of stuff I want to learn. It will take a few days probably longer to read through the links you posted so of course that will help. But when I seen this I thought it could explain my thread. Thanks again man.

Modern high powered car subwoofer systems will throw a lot of older conventional wisdom out the window. Get yourself a proper woodshop set up, a SPL meter and some woofers and start making some sawdust. Go to some shows and see what works and what doesn't work and experiment a lot. There's no replacement for experience.

Really if you just get your woodworking skills tight you could buy blueprints from someone with experience and build from there and have a marketable product.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.