Deck turns on, plays no sound anymore

Participant count
  • Participant list

sizzl3r
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Minnesota
I was installing a new deck (some cheap Dual from Walmart)into my friends 2001 suburban last night. After I got all of the wires spliced together, I plugged in the deck real quick just to make sure it was working. It played music just fine, and his subs/amp turned on and were working. So I unplugged the deck to assemble the dash kit, and when I put it in the 2nd time and turned it on, no sound came out. I thought maybe a wire came loose but when I pulled it out, everything was in tact.

I fiddled around with the deck but couldn't get sound to come out. I assumed it was probably a bad deck since he bought the cheapest one he could find. So my friend took it back to the store and some how managed to return it and get his money back in exchange for a JVC deck. We took it back, wired everything up, plugged it in to test it, it worked 100%, unplugged to put it in the dash and when we turn it on, it doesn't play sound. Seriously, what's going on? This can't be 2 bad decks in a row. I really need help on this one, my friend is pissed that he spent all this money on this and it's not working. Thanks

Sounds like you are having a wiring issue to me. I would assume best case, it is a stock amplified system and your remote wire is coming loose during removal and installation. Worse case, you have poor connections to the point something is arcing out or touching during installation that shouldn't be and you are damaging units.

Nothing like this "just happens". There is always a cause.

Sounds like you are having a wiring issue to me. I would assume best case, it is a stock amplified system and your remote wire is coming loose during removal and installation. Worse case, you have poor connections to the point something is arcing out or touching during installation that shouldn't be and you are damaging units.

Nothing like this "just happens". There is always a cause.
His car did have somewhat of a stock system. The suburbans had an 8'' factory sub in the back. He had subs installed without taking out the factory deck. Is there is an issue here? I highly doubt it's the wiring. Connections were secure and showing no wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sizzl3r

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
sizzl3r
Minnesota
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date