Need help with my system

Callingindogs
10+ year member

I've been procrastinating to get help, but for awhile now my speakers having been making "crackling" noises. Specifically i've noticed at 200hz on my mids (which are hsk 165xl's) bought brand new and 2khz on the tweeters, I've turned down the frequency on both of these and the noise slightly goes away at high volumes, but I think my subs just drown out the noise mostly. The speakers are being pushed by a rockford t400-2 amp. I've tried turning the punch eq down all the way, most i'd have it up is to about 1/5 and I have the input turned about halfway. I used to have it hooked up to a pair of CDT HD 690 cf's and they'd also make the same crackling sound. It's most noticeable on the right side and even blew out the right tweeter. I have my stereos head unit eq on flat, high pass at 80hz same on the amp, the crossovers are set at 0db for the tweets. At this point I have no idea what's going on that could be causing a problem, I've checked the wiring (14g nvx silver twisted wires) all connections solid. Any ideas?

What kind of patch cables feed the amp, what kind of power wire feeds the amp and what sort of ground (and where) does the amp have? Also, how is the head unit grounded?

If the problem is only on one side, check for a bad patch cable or move the crossover for that component set as it may be picking up noise from something it is mounted near. Passive crossovers are notoriously susceptible to RF interference.

Patch cables? You mean power wire? If so, I have a 0g coming front the battery to the back to a block that turns into three 4g wires, so it's connected to a 4g input cable and a 4g output, it has the same ground as my subs and my subs have 0 problems, before I got my new front speakers I used it on some kenwood front speakers off the head unit and they played without distortion. I have the crossovers mounted to my door panels, so there's speaker wires around them idk if that would cause interference.

What kind of patch cables feed the amp, what kind of power wire feeds the amp and what sort of ground (and where) does the amp have? Also, how is the head unit grounded?
If the problem is only on one side, check for a bad patch cable or move the crossover for that component set as it may be picking up noise from something it is mounted near. Passive crossovers are notoriously susceptible to RF interference.
Oh wait, just looked it up, RCA cables? I've checked the RCA cables they're good.

Bench tests are ~$40.00-60.00 on the average. But to check the amp on a problem that only happens on one side, swap speaker outputs and if the problem stays on the same speaker, it isn't the amp. If it follows the amp output... amp.

Bench tests are ~$40.00-60.00 on the average. But to check the amp on a problem that only happens on one side, swap speaker outputs and if the problem stays on the same speaker, it isn't the amp. If it follows the amp output... amp.
The problem is on both sides, I just think I hear the right mid more. I left it as is and listened and they distorted, and I swapped the inputs and they both still distorted. Would it be the amp most likely? Could it be a power issue maybe?

I've been thinking that, I just haven't wanted to send it in for them to tell me that it's not broken. Do you know how much a shop would charge to test it for me? or have a look around to see what the problem could be?
depends on the hourly rate and how long it takes

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

sunds like the amp , what amp ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.