Alpine amp goes on and off

My Alpine MRP-M1000 amp keeps turning on and off for seemingly no reason while driving and listening to music. I checked the power wire, fuse, and ground wire and everything seemed fine. Another thing that was strange was that the volume didn't have to be high at all for it to cut out and come back on. I bought the amp used, so is it possible it's just dying on me? Do amps usually do this when they're dying?

Does the amp get hot before/when it shuts down? Does it just power down or does the protection light come on?
Well the thing with that is that during the hottest days of this summer, it's gotten extremely hot and gone into protection mode. It would happen after listening to music for like 30 minutes on 90 degree days. This is totally different because the amp isn't hot, it's not really a hot day, and instead of shutting off completely into protect mode, it just turns off and on randomly.

Hmm, I know you said you checked your wires but I would double check and make sure your ground is a secure because if your amp is trying to send too much power with nowhere to ground all of it I believe that will set off a protection light. (correct me if I am wrong) I know that was a problem I had when I first started off. Another troubleshooting thing I did was just as a test connect your REM to direct power and see if it cuts out when you run your music.

A LOT of variables can come into play with any electrical so be sure to trace all leads given by our members and ensure you know what you're doing is correct.

1. ground issue?

2. remote lead issue?

3. overheat kicking into protection?

4. ohm load issue?

5. etc, etc, etc...

Sorry I haven't replied in a few days. I set the gain with an smd-dd1 with the -5db tone, so even if it's clipping it shouldn't be too bad. My sub is an american bass xfl d4 15" and it's wired to 2 ohms. After really looking closely at the wires, I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the power, ground, or remote. When it started going in and out again, I pulled out my dmm and checked for voltage at the speaker terminals, and there was none, so I think that means there's probably nothing wrong with the sub. I think the power light is supposed to flash on this amp when it goes into protection mode. Mine doesn't flash during the problem.

It's also worth mentioning that it worked perfectly for something like 2 months with no problems at all. This problem just came out of nowhere a few days ago.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.