Best all-around subwoofer for 150-200$

Golitan11

Canada
I was just about to get the new Alpine Type-R (SWR-12D4) but after reading a lot, most of you recommend (in that price range) the Incriminator Lethal Injection and the Sundown SA-12. Here are my questions:

1. Which of the three is the best for SQ?

2. Which of the three is the best for SPL?

3. Which of the three is the best all-around?

4. Do you recommend another subwoofer in that price range?

5. Why the new Type-R's seem so bad against those two (what is it lacking)?

Thanks (by the way I will probably buy an Hifonics BRX1100.1D amplifier for my actual budget).

Type R subs Get down pretty good for the money,and do sound very nice with a Clean powered amp/not Dirty powered amp.Just my Experience from Listening/hearing them.You may even Check into some of the Dayton Series 12s in that price range that serve justice

You probably won't notice much of a difference between the three as long as they're in proper enclosures. The LI and SA do seem to be more durable though.

Haven't heard the LI's. have heard quite a few SA and type r setups. Type r is a solid sub but in my experience the sundown is better in every way.

Ok I just read several threads on several forums and I watched a couple videos and I cannot resist: I will buy the Sundown SA-12. The only reason why I would choose this one over the Incriminator Lethal Injection is because it will sell way more easily when I will be ready for an upgrade (more known). So I just wanna know: Is 800W plenty for this subwoofer or I should go even higher? Thanks.

for the power you will be running you can get the threatcon 4 $199 on presale and its much beefier and stronger than SA then you wont need to worry about upgrade, you can upgrade your amp later on for more power and these subs can still take them.

Now I am stuck between the Sundown SA-12 and the FI SSD12 lol (and maybe the "new" Incriminator Lethal Injection?). Most of the time people recommend the SSD12 more but I don't know why since the Sundown is under rated.

So the Sundown SA-12 would be great on a Hifonics BRX1100.1D wired at 2 ohms (800W)?

I heard that Sundown owner was giving enclosure specifications for this subwoofer on a forum (bigger than the ones recommend on their website). Is that true (what size/tuning should I do)?

As always, thanks for your help.

Whatever sub you choose, if you are only running one sub, I would get a dual 2 and run it at 1 ohm.

Just to be sure you have enough power because you can always back down the gain a little bit anyways.

Now I am stuck between the Sundown SA-12 and the FI SSD12 lol (and maybe the "new" Incriminator Lethal Injection?). Most of the time people recommend the SSD12 more but I don't know why since the Sundown is under rated.
So the Sundown SA-12 would be great on a Hifonics BRX1100.1D wired at 2 ohms (800W)?

I heard that Sundown owner was giving enclosure specifications for this subwoofer on a forum (bigger than the ones recommend on their website). Is that true (what size/tuning should I do)?

As always, thanks for your help.
Whatever sub you choose, if you are only running one sub, I would get a dual 2 and run it at 1 ohm. Just to be sure you have enough power because you can always back down the gain a little bit anyways.
- I agree here, Hifonics tend to be a touch overrated unless you have nothing short of a nuclear power plant backing it up power wise... Get D2 (Dual 2 ohm voice coils) Sub and run that amp @ 1 ohm, set your gain properly with a DMM and being that you won't be trying to squeeze it's MAX RMS out of it like you would be @ 2 ohms, there SHOULD be a lot less chance of clipping and potentially shortening the life of whatever sub you wind up choosing...
SA-12's do well in about 2 cubes in the low 30hz tuning range, if you read about "larger enclosure recommendations" - I'd be willing to bet that is for the NEW X & Zv4 subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Whatever sub you choose, that hifonics running around 800-900 rms @ 1 ohm is what I would use as your reference point for power - Find A sub that will perform well with this in mind... Or get a different amp & get whatever you want //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.