Zv3 will not make any noise, whats going on?

caseyarndt
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
West MI
I just picked up a sundown zv3 12 from one of my friends that I know for a fact worked.

Something must have happened to the sub because it will not make a single sound, click, or vibration of any kind.

The sub looks like it is in perfect condition.

The leads are still fully attached, and coil does not look discolored at all.

I cant imagine what it would be, I have wired it in series and parallel, as well as each coil individually and still no sound.

Amp is a T1500-1bdcp 100% functional (tested with other subs) and using quality speaker wire.

I'm lost what could it could be?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

The leads are hooked up to the terminals

but would you have to remove the dust cap to see if the leads were hooked to the voice coil?

I am positive I have it wired up right, I double and triple check it several times I'm really confused lol

I will go grab my dmm and check the coils

Thanks for the suggestions I want to get this figured out

Ok just checked the coils individually with my dmm and its weird to say the least.

Checked both on my bench one reads about 3 ohms and the other read 170.

So I picked up the sub and brought it to my car sat in it the backseat, free air to test it.

Hooked up the first coil, 3 ohms, to my surprise it worked with no mechanical noise.

Then tested the other and it too worked again with no mechanical noise.

Retested both coils with a dmm one read 3 ohms again and the other read 8 ohms now I don't get it.

Could there be something inside that is coming undone with moving the sub or something?

Perhaps one half of one coil is blown -- as with most 8-layer coils it is a "bifilar" wind; meaning it's quad wound then paralleled down to a dual wind. It is entirely possible 1/2 of the 2nd coil is damaged.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.