3-Way Suggestions!!!

a404freedom
10+ year member

I have a 2013 VW CC with 2 speakers in the door and a tweeter for the front stage and a woofer and tweeter for the rear. I'm planning on going 3-way in the front and 2-way in the rear, but I'm unsure as to what I should do for the 3-way. SUGGESTIONS SUGGESTIONS SUGGESTIONS. Oh yea, and budget around 3-400 for the 3-way.

Secondly, could I purchase a 2-way set, add a woofer and then just go get a 3-way crossover??? If that's the case, are there advantages to doing this? I see people purchasing speakers meant for your livingroom and putting them in their cars.

You like brunettes or redheads? FMF or MFM?

Oh sorry... not that kind of threeway. I forgot which forum I was on. :)

I don't know from living room speakers in the car but there are a lot of people who are running PA speakers in their cars. So many now that car audio manufacturers are making (or rebranding) PA speakers for car audio. The benefit to PA drivers is that they're typically very sensitive and will handle high power which equals enough mid range volume to keep up with ten thousand watts of bass.

My suggestion would be to pick up a good 2-way component set with crossovers (6.5mid) and then run an 8" PA speaker as the lower mid bass driver. I wouldn't run the latter on a passive crossover though. I'd run them actively crossed over on another amplifier or on two channels of a six channel amp. Then you could run your 6.5s and rear fill off the other two channels of the same amp.

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 that came with the factory Infinity system and the doors had 6X9s with tweets in the windshield posts. I've run 6.5s in the doors and 6X9 coaxials but now I'm running Sundown Neo Pro 8s with a little cutting of the door and a spacer. They sound better than anything I've run in the doors and they are loud. They're powered by an old school Earthquake 400TX,which is 50WPC over their rated 150 watts and they take it like it's nothing. I've got better midbass than ever now and I didn't lose anything in the upper midrange that I can tell so my next move is to add a second Neo 8 to each door, to get a little extra volume and better mid bass response.

The Sundowns are aa bit high but there are also companies making comparable ferrite motor drivers for about half the price. And, there are 6.5" PA drivers as well, if you don't have room for 8s.

Hope that helps!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.