Kicker l7 10"

Darkstar987

Nj
Hey all, first post ( wahoo),but I have been trolling for a while. I need some advice on a setup. Just bought a veloster turbo with dimension audio system. I currently have a 750.1 zx, a Rockford 1 farad cap. And a blown 4 ohm l7 10. When I had this unit set up on an aftermarket head unit it was awesome! Exactly what I wanted and more, I want a system that hits you in the chest crazy hard. I really don't care about the volume or the boom, just the punch, and sq is nice too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif My question is should I stick with an l7 or is there another ,preferably compact, sub I can get to hit just as hard without worryin it's gonna take a **** on me. Also I have always used sealed but should I consider porting? And for this setup is it better to get a 4 or 2 ohm? Thank you!

Oh and I found a voice coil rebuild kit for 60$ think it's worth a shot? The woofer feels a little tight but it moves. And different ohm from the coils.

750 watts can be a bit much power for a 600 watt woofer if in an improper enclosure - need more info about your setup...

How big is the enclosure? Approximate tuning?

1.4 cf sealed cube. I figured to over power it because I was warned under powering was worse. Kicker doesn't make a 650.1 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Kicker recommends .66 to 1.0 cu. ft. for the 10's, so your power handling is going to be reduced a bit in a larger enclosure.

Underpowering 'can' be an issue for people who don't have the amp gain set correctly and push the amp into clipping because they want it louder... But there's certainly no harm in running rated power to a woofer (again in the proper enclosure).

Kicker 'did' make a 650.1 several years ago in the SX line - but power wise, keep what you've got - just shrink that box down a bit so your not stressing the suspension.

Sweet Ty for the advice, I think I'm gonna make a custom fitted box or the v so I will make it smaller. . Should I try and repair it or just buy another. I really don't have the money to do it now so I was thinking about the repair. I'm good with wiring and soldering not sure what else is really involved.

learn how to set your gains with a multi-meter, overpowering is okay but you have to set your gains so that the amp puts out only 600 rms. You'll rarely get that punch feeling from a sealed box. I'd recommend 2 15s to get that chest slam, or maybe two good 12s and more power.

Hey I have more questions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ok I am gonna get another l7 and I'm gonna stick with my 750 ( and set the gain to 600 , good advice jeffdachef) and am going to make a custom box at approximately 1.0 cf. I just want to know what is the best option for line conversion. I know the zx has high level input should I just wire the speaker wires to some rcas? Should I buy the kicker zisl? Or an actual line converter ? And if you recommend the line converter please recommend one. I have no problem doing some extra work or coughing up a little extra dough, I just want to make sure my cars system and my sub last a good long time.

Are you set on getting an l7? There are other sub choices that would sound better and get louder at that price point or cheaper.

And how much room do you have for a box? A ported box will defiantly be louder.

Get a dual 4 ohm sub because your amp puts out the most power at 2 ohms and a dual 4 ohm wired in parallel gives you 2 ohms

I would just use the high level inputs, line out converters can generate noise and ground loops plus it will get you more money to put into another sub.

1. How do you know how much he's paying for an L7

2. Sounding 'better' is pretty subjective

3. L7's are quite adapt at being loud...

Are you set on getting an l7? There are other sub choices that would sound better and get louder at that price point or cheaper.And how much room do you have for a box? A ported box will defiantly be louder.

Get a dual 4 ohm sub because your amp puts out the most power at 2 ohms and a dual 4 ohm wired in parallel gives you 2 ohms

I would just use the high level inputs, line out converters can generate noise and ground loops plus it will get you more money to put into another sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not set on an l7 I would love to save the money and get something cheaper. Plus I'm not sure if I want an l7 on full blast rattling aeay my car. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. I just want something that will hit hard not loud. And I personally didn't agree with 2 12s in a ported. That's volume and the l7 10 hit more then hard enough for me so if anything I would go smaller.

I don't know what price he is getting an L7 for but I can see the average price that they are going for online and they are relatively expensive.

It does seem like you prefer the sealed box, maybe check out the alpine type r Alpine SWR-12D4 12" 2000W Dual 4-Ohm Type-R Car Audio Subwoofer They seem to do well in sealed boxes and everyone I have known who has one loves it. Since your kicker was a square 10'' a 12" round sub will have similar cone area. Just a suggestion, maybe someone else has another sub that would be more fitting for your application.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.