RCA output jacks to amp question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Villainstone
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Should be a fairly easy question to answer for people with experience. If a head unit has only 2 RCA outputs (front and rear speakers) @ 2v to connect an amp. You take two 2 to 1 RCA "Y" cables, and plug both rights into one and both lefts into the other Then used a standard car audio RCA wire from the amp the the "y" cable at the head unit what would happen? Would there be any benefit to doing this? Thanks forum.

It takes 4 RCA's for front and rear channels.

Most 4 ch amps have preamp outputs to connect extra amplifiers and create extra channels.

With 5 channel amps, just flip a switch on the amp and you got 5 ch out of 4 channels, taking the bass from the rear channels.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Not really trying to do anything. I was just wondering really, Wondering if it would give you more voltage from the HU to the ampor do nothing at all? But I should have mentioned going to a mono block sub amp

It wouldn't work, it would be like taking the speaker wires from say a left and right output and trying to power one speaker. It would just short out because you're putting two outputs together. What you're trying to do, in a sense, is bridge the RCAs and it doesn't work that way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.