Alpine Type "R"

Participant count
  • Participant list

tjmackay

Hello All,

Really appreciate all of the information available in this forum and have been setting up purchases based on many of the threads. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram and after driving my son's car (not factory audio) I realized I needed to upgrade my factory stereo. I can only get away with so much at a time (being married with children), so I am starting with an amp and subwoofer addition to the factory audio and will go from there (eventually plan on all new speakers and head unit). I love music (all genres sans "country" or "western" and have no interest in letting other people hear what I am listening to. That being said, hearing AWOL Nation's "Sail" in my son's car sounded REALLY good.

I have purchased a Fox DQC-212-V box (2-12" VENTED SUB BOX, AIR VOLUME: 1.55 CUBIC FEET PER SIDE, DIVIDED: YES, PORT/VENT TUNE FREQUENCY: 35 Hz, MAX FRAME SIZE: 13", MOUNTING HOLE SIZE: 11.125", MOUNTING DEPTH: 7.25" WITH A 6.5" DIAMETER MAGNET). I have read everything I could find on the topic and have discussed the options with Mr. Fox and it appears as if the 12" Alpine Type "R" is the way to go (12" subwoofer with dual 4 or 2-ohm voice coils, Kevlar reinforced pulp cone with HAMRS Santoprene rubber surround, frequency response: 24-200 Hz, power handling: 300-1,000 watts RMS (500 watts per coil), peak power: 3,000 watts, sensitivity: 84.7 dB, top-mount, depth: 6-3/8", sealed box volume: 0.75-1.00 cu. ft., ported box volume: 1.25-1.50 cu. ft.). Moreover, I am inclined based on suggestion to go with the JL Audio HD1200 amp ( mono subwoofer amplifer 1,200 watts RMS x 1 (rated power from 1.5 to 4 ohms), variable high- and low-pass filter (50-500 Hz 12 or 24dB/octave), switchable subsonic filter (30 Hz) and output polarity control, Single Cycle Control Class D amplifier design, 10-13/16"W x 2"H x 8-13/16"D) and hear good things about this combination in this box with my truck.

My questions for those of you who have more experience and knowledge than I (which is basically everyone who reads this) is; 1) high / low converter to use the stock head unit versus a digital audio output option, 2) 2 ohm versus 4 ohm option on the Type "R" with this or a similar amp, 3) opinions on the set up I am looking toward?

Appreciate advice, feedback, warnings, etc. ~ and extend thanks in advance for your effort!

If you get a decent converter then it would sound fine but there's some people that run into noise interference issues when using convertors.

With two subs, you'd want two 4 ohm subs so you can wire them parallel down to 1 ohm.

That amp is rated at 1200 rms from 1.5-4 ohm so I wouldn't recommend running it at 1 ohm unless you really have to.

I would go with the dual 4 ohm version and run them at a final load of 4 ohm. This way if you decide to change amps in the future or sell the subs they will be able to wire down to 1 ohm together. Just what I would do

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.