keep_hope_alive
Premium Member

Acoustics Engineer
Item(s) for Sale:

Phoenix Gold Cyclone BNIB

Rotary Servo Subwoofer.

12" diameter

Item(s) Description/Condition:

Purchased from a local authorized shop who sold them back in 1996. I saw several installs they did with them and always wanted one. A few years ago, a salesman admitted they still had a BNIB one in back. I snagged it with best intentions. It just isn't going to be used anytime soon.

These rotary subwoofers require maintenance. This is essentially a DC motor after all. The magnets need to be "cleaned" periodically. This procedure is well documented. I will share this process with any serious buyer (email description). I have not yet done this and am willing to sell as-is for a DIY person to save some money. If you want me to disassemble, clean, and re-assemble I will, but price jumps to $600.

This has never been installed, has never seen any power. There is nothing to rot or fail with time.

I have original specs, enclosure recommendations, etc. Best powered by a 2 channel Class AB amp bridged with 150W RMS.

Best ran with dedicated midbass woofers for midbass impact. This is a "smooth, buttery" subwoofer capable of very, very low frequency reproduction. I've heard 10Hz out of these things with surprisingly high output levels.

Frequency Response 11Hz to 60Hz *but lower is certainly available since it's just a DC motor.

Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms

Continuous Power Handling 300 WRMS *150W is recommended at 8 ohms.

Power Compression

Sensitivity 90dB 1W/1M

Maximum Excursion 38 Degrees p-p Linear Rotation

Required Crossover >18dB Per Octave,

Mounting Depth 12 7/8"

Mounting Hole Diameter 11 1/8"

Speaker Displacement 0.5 cu.ft.

Price:

$450 shipped, or best offer as-is.

$600 shipped if I clean the magnets.

If you are wondering why the price seems high, try finding another one, let alone BNIB...

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

Will ship via UPS. will box around original packaging to maintain packaging integrity. I like original boxes in good condition.

Item Pictures:

Recently taken with recent date (quick phone pics):

IMG_20130707_161540_176.jpg

IMG_20130707_161457_338.jpg

IMG_20130707_161507_248.jpg

Back when I got it and how it still looks today:

PGCyclone007.jpg

PGCyclone005.jpg

PGCyclone002.jpg

PGCyclone006.jpg

Woofer Tester 3 (note that there is no Fs, this is a rotary woofer!)

PGCyclone.jpg

no, i don't want to sell this. i had ideas for a HT subwoofer that would be awesome. I also had ideas for my Accord. But alas, i just don't see it happening any time soon.

No reason for me to hog this but I won't let it go for a "steal". This is one time that I will get what it's worth, friend or not.

I have others locally who want it, and haven't told them yet.

Thats awesome. I would just love to hear a sub 20hz tone played from it once. Do you have any or know of any videos of one of these in action? Kind of interested in it for a HT setup. Would have to talk to the wife about dropping that much on it.

I don't mean to clutter your thread either. GLWS

What part of the sub actually moves? Have always been curious about these things. Wish I had some play money because as you said these almost never come up for sale in any condition and its one of those things I drooled over in the car audio mags in high school.

What part of the sub actually moves? Have always been curious about these things. Wish I had some play money because as you said these almost never come up for sale in any condition and its one of those things I drooled over in the car audio mags in high school.
there are two flat paddles that oscillate. the curved veins direct airflow forward and back. the front pieces that are pie shaped are what house the flat paddles - you get an idea of their range of movement. the paddles are very lightweight (like a 1/4" fiberglass foam-core board) and seal against the front and rear pieces with a bristle-like weatherstripping to help contain air pressure.

as they oscillate they simulate a piston moving air but without the resonance issues and electro-mechanical issues.

they still require an enclosure, about 3 cu. ft. sealed, to isolate the rear and front wave. they move air like a traditional subwoofer, just differently.

Thats awesome. I would just love to hear a sub 20hz tone played from it once. Do you have any or know of any videos of one of these in action? Kind of interested in it for a HT setup. Would have to talk to the wife about dropping that much on it.
I don't mean to clutter your thread either. GLWS
no worries. a video will be difficult to get the experience since most mics and systems cannot reproduce what they are capable of.

I agree they would be an excellent HT sub with unlimited low frequency response for perfect HT sub-bass.

I remember a guy at kicker store telling me a company was working on this design. He said it would be the next big thing in spl

I didn't ever know these ever hit the market. And by PG wow!

Soo how loud is this?

I remember a guy at kicker store telling me a company was working on this design. He said it would be the next big thing in splI didn't ever know these ever hit the market. And by PG wow!

Soo how loud is this?
made in 1996 and limited run/production. around $800 new, which was a lot in 1996!

loud is relative. an SSA Zcon will be around the same cost as mine and the Zcon will certainly be louder. This isn't an SPL device by any means. It's for those wanting the lowest octaves of reproduction with no issues of excursion limitations or unloading.

I've seen an install back then with three of them - hard to breathe with that output so low.

Is this a add on for a sub or does it replace the sub and do everything ?
it replaces a normal subwoofer. but you can see the response is 60Hz and lower - so typically ran with beefy midbass drivers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

keep_hope_alive

Premium Member
Acoustics Engineer
keep_hope_alive
Quad Cities, IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date