dual 10" pioneer box construction (classic vw bug)

Participant count
  • Participant list
hey guys read up on the (read these first) threads and they did help. not only do i need help with box design but i need help on amp selecting.

Vehicle : 72' vw bug shell

Location in the vehicle: behind rear seat

Space available (Length x Width x Height):36x10x14

Subwoofer make and model: pioneer TS-W250R

Subwoofer Size: 10"

Number of Subwoofers:2

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): ?

What type of music do you like?: rock, rap, dubstep, alternative reaggae

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: everyday music

Tuning Freq (Hz):?

Volume :?

Questions: if my sealed box is 36x10x14 will it be big enough for 2 10" subs?

also i bench tested the subs (no box) at 50w each. obvioulsy the box makes a big difference but im still kind of worried about the bass. also looking for an amp that i can power just these subs off of. nothing too fancy. preferably cheap. They will only be used for my entertainment. i dont care if it doesnt hit harder than my friends. just something decent.

Assuming you'll be using .75 inch MDF for a box, you're looking at a maximum of 2.12 cubic feet of available space. I think that, once you factor in woofer displacement, whatever port volume, any bracing, and any space around the box for the port to breath (if applicable to your allotted space), you may be hard pressed to have enough space to make a pair of 10s happy in a ported box. You may wanna consider going sealed with them, or building a killer ported box for just one of the 10s, or getting a single 12 that would be happy in something like 1.75 cubes ported.

Just something to chew on..

Edit: I just realized you asked about a sealed box. Yes, you have plenty of room for that.

You'll need to model those subs in WinISD or whatever software that can lend you insight on the ideal airspace for those subs (or get someone to do it for you), and then you'll know your airspace requirements, and can thus design the size and shape of the box accordingly.

As for your amp, I would strongly suggest getting one with ample power and just setting the gain to where those subs will play safely. This way you can upgrade your subs later if you wish and not have to buy another amp.

chances are, boss amps will only do 1/5 of the RMS they listed, steve meade tested a no name amp that has the same board as most of the boss lines. You should just save up for amps that do rated power. Go for monoblocks if its going to power your subs. You'll quickly learn if you buy cheap equipment, normally it'll just fry on you and underperform, especially when it comes to amps.

it looks like it'll run hot from the reviews, but it should work better than the boss. Your subs are 120 rms each and single voice coil so at 4 ohms the amp should power them fine.

MB Quart ONX2.100 400W ONYX Series 2-Channel Amp (ONX-2.100)

is another amp that is around the same price range as that orion cobalt to open up options, I have no experience with either brands but at least they are both CEA compliant which is at least a big step up from boss, pyle, crunch, lanzar and power accoustik.

There's nothing wrong with that cobalt amp, I've ran many of them without issues... Your subs only take 120 rms each so you don't NEED more than 240 watts going to your set, trust me I've ran many many many pioneers in my day - DO NOT OVERPOWER THEM, - Research and learn how to properly set your amp gain using a

DMM (Digital Multi-Meter) because odds are any DESCENT amp you buy will be too much for those at max clean output... And trust me no need for any fancy **** when it comes to a sealed box for these mediocre subs... Give them around .8 - 1.0 ^3ft. per sub and you will be fine, it's not going to make an audible difference to you anywhere in that ballpark

im stuck between the orion co600.2 or the MB Quart ONX2.100 400w

i like the orion for the extra watt but the onx seems like better quality. would i be able to use a bass level knob on either of these?

The Rockford Punch amps are great. Go for it if it meets the power rating of your sub. It's fine to overpower subs with clean power. Underpowering causes most people to get too carried away with the gain knob and can cause the amp to clip, which is bad for subs.

The Rockford Punch amps are great. Go for it if it meets the power rating of your sub. It's fine to overpower subs with clean power. Underpowering causes most people to get too carried away with the gain knob and cause the amp to clip, which is bad for subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.