Sealed Box frequency??

Participant count
  • Participant list

jigsISF

Are sealed boxes tuned to a certain frequency or is that just for ported enclosures?

The reason I ask is I have a sealed box and was wondering when I get my system hooked up, what I should set the subsonic filter to. I heard usually a few hertz below the "tuned" hertz. Here are the specs of my box and speakers:

2 Fi Q 12" :

Fs: 34.2 Hz

Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil

Qms: 7.63

Qes: .39

Qts: .37

Mms: 249g

Cms: 0.87mm/N

Sd: 481cm^2

Vas: 28.3 l

Spl: 86.5dB 1W/1m

Bl: 13.9 N/A

Xmax: 28mm

Rms: 1500W

Sealed box: .8-1.5 High QTScuft

Ported box: 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 28-33Hz

Sub OD: 12.500”

Cut ID: 11.125”

Mounting depth: 7.000”

Displacement: 0.16cuft

and the box specs (sealed):

- 3/4" and 1/2" MDF Construction

- Black automotive carpet

- Holds 2 round 12" subwoofers (10" subs may be substituted upon request)

- 1.15 cubic feet per chamber (volume can be reduced upon request)

- 9.5" mounting depth

- Round spring loaded speaker terminals

- Sealed air tight w/liquid nails caulk

- Roughly 25 lbs.

View attachment 26543387

So vas x box volume in liters + 1, find the square root of that then x the resonant frequency, in that order or do you follow basic order of operations
no. Vas/Vb (ltrs) then add 1, then sq rt that, then multiply that by the fs of the woofer.

in regards to the OP, the Fc is where you are going to start rolling off. I have found that you are good for about one octave under the Fc playing wise. Granted it will have a gradual roll off, it is more pronounced the lower and lower you go.

You don't need a subsonic filter with a sealed enclosure. The woofer suspension will always have the extra resistance from the pressure in the box, so it can't unload like a ported box woofer.

You don't need a subsonic filter with a sealed enclosure. The woofer suspension will always have the extra resistance from the pressure in the box, so it can't unload like a ported box woofer.
unless you go incredibly large, but that would be pointless. So yes, good point!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.