Alpine Type R 12" or JL 12W3 for a sealed enclosure

rocky123t

Hey all, im new around here and searched through the forums without finding the answer im searching for.

I am finally adding a subwoofer to my car and i know i would like a sealed enclosure. The two main subwoofers i am considering purchasing are the alpine type r 12" and the JL w3. I know they are mainstream brands but literally every brand i have heard of has people who will bash it. I have seen several forums talking about the differences and pros and cons of these two subs, but these conversation were about these subs in a ported enclosure.

Here are some of my questions that i would appreciate your opinions on. First I understand the the alpine is more-so a SPL sub and the JL is a better SQ sub so does that mean i should stick to the JL if im looking for sealed? The JL would require a cheaper amp which is nice but i fear if i get the JL in a sealed box i will not have much loudness. Im definitely not making loudness my goal, im just new to car audio and want to make sure i have some boom. That being said, would the Type R be a better idea because it has the loudness i want and then sealing it will maintain the SQ that i care for the most?

I listen to all types of music, like rap/hiphop, rock, dubstep, country, reggae so i want a sub that will blast those heavy drops and really bring out the best of bass heavy genres while being able to enjoy country and rock without the sound being ruined (hence why im going with sealed).

Im just worried that if i go with the JL's that i could feel like spending all this money wasn't worthwhile because im lacking in bass. And im worried that the Alpines may not be meant for a sealed box. My friend told me that having it in a sealed box will cause the sub to break much sooner (i have no clue if that is true).

If i go with the JL i know which amp i will get. But if i go with the type R i was considering going with the hifonics 1200Watt at 2 ohms brutus amp would this do it justice? Are there any similarly priced amps that would be better? I just cant afford the pricier ones, but maybe that means i should just get the JL because i wont have to spend as much on an amp?

Im probably leaning towards the alpine because im not afraid its not loud enough and i trust that alpine has good quality sound, but obviously i dont know too much or i wouldnt be posting this, maybe JL w3's are way better for a sealed enclosure.

I know that was long but thanks in advance for all help!

Hey all, im new around here and searched through the forums without finding the answer im searching for.
I am finally adding a subwoofer to my car and i know i would like a sealed enclosure. The two main subwoofers i am considering purchasing are the alpine type r 12" and the JL w3. I know they are mainstream brands but literally every brand i have heard of has people who will bash it. I have seen several forums talking about the differences and pros and cons of these two subs, but these conversation were about these subs in a ported enclosure.

Here are some of my questions that i would appreciate your opinions on. First I understand the the alpine is more-so a SPL sub and the JL is a better SQ sub so does that mean i should stick to the JL if im looking for sealed? The JL would require a cheaper amp which is nice but i fear if i get the JL in a sealed box i will not have much loudness. Im definitely not making loudness my goal, im just new to car audio and want to make sure i have some boom. That being said, would the Type R be a better idea because it has the loudness i want and then sealing it will maintain the SQ that i care for the most?

I listen to all types of music, like rap/hiphop, rock, dubstep, country, reggae so i want a sub that will blast those heavy drops and really bring out the best of bass heavy genres while being able to enjoy country and rock without the sound being ruined (hence why im going with sealed).

Im just worried that if i go with the JL's that i could feel like spending all this money wasn't worthwhile because im lacking in bass. And im worried that the Alpines may not be meant for a sealed box. My friend told me that having it in a sealed box will cause the sub to break much sooner (i have no clue if that is true).

If i go with the JL i know which amp i will get. But if i go with the type R i was considering going with the hifonics 1200Watt at 2 ohms brutus amp would this do it justice? Are there any similarly priced amps that would be better? I just cant afford the pricier ones, but maybe that means i should just get the JL because i wont have to spend as much on an amp?

Im probably leaning towards the alpine because im not afraid its not loud enough and i trust that alpine has good quality sound, but obviously i dont know too much or i wouldnt be posting this, maybe JL w3's are way better for a sealed enclosure.

I know that was long but thanks in advance for all help!
I'll sell ya my w3v2 for cheaper than you'll find it elsewhere if you want to go that route.. it's in beautiful condition. Sounds great in a sealed or ported enclosure (I have it sealed right now in a fiberglass box) and it'll take more power than stated.

That sealed for rock and country music myth is old! A good ported box will sound just as good or better than sealed and you'll get a lot more output. Putting a w3 or a Type R in a sealed box is a waste in my opinion. And your friend that told you a sealed box will break your sub sooner is an idiot. There's a also quite a bit more options that the w3 or the Type R as well. Stick around a while and do some homework before you run out and do something stupid. You'll be happier in the long run and a bit more knowledgable and that's always a good thing.

Okay i believe you about about ported being better, i just dont want the bass to overpower the lyrics and the highs and mids of my music even if the bass quality isnt bad. I also dont know where to get a good ported box and have no clue what i am doing so dont really wanna attempt building my own. I feel like sealed is just easier but that shouldnt dictate what i buy haha.

There are always bass gains you can change on the head unit if the bass is too much but with one of those 12s I doubt it will b overwhelming. With that said the older type rs are more sq than spl

I have a type r in a ported box and I listen to country, rock, etc. with no problems. They really love a ported box, no real reason to seal it. If you want a sealed sub check out Fi
The current version is well suited for sealed box. F3, QTC, Q look like it was made for a sealed box. Of course it may sound good in ported as well.

I can sympathize with the idea that ported can be overpowering at certain frequencies, as where sealed tends to provide a nice equal level of loudness across the spectrum. With that being said, I prefer ported because I'm used to certain frequencies being louder, and if you want to be loud, you can be. If you want to be not as loud, you can adjust it down with the head unit.

However, If you go sealed and can still get as loud as you desire, go for it. It sounds like you're more concerned with adding to your music than just being loud.

As for which sub to go with, well, the only way to know is to try both. Ha. Type R gets my vote simply because I've owned many of them and can't say enough good things about them. I doubt you can go wrong with the W3 though.

i tried a type R sealed, it sounded okay but the output is pretty lacking, ported makes a big difference and sound quality got better to be honest. If you plan on just having one sub and not adding any more subs or upgrading your setup even more, then make sure you get a D2 version of the sub. With a good ported box, the W3 will sound nice and have decent daily driver volume for beginners.

Okay i believe you about about ported being better, i just dont want the bass to overpower the lyrics and the highs and mids of my music even if the bass quality isnt bad. I also dont know where to get a good ported box and have no clue what i am doing so dont really wanna attempt building my own. I feel like sealed is just easier but that shouldnt dictate what i buy haha.

Sealed box is better to get a balanced bass sound in a car with little work. The ported box will normally give good flat response down to its tuning frequency if you tune it low enough, but inside the car cabin this will gives you a much louder bass at some frequencies due to car's cabin gain. Some people say ported is better for its sensitivity. If ported gives you a peaky response at some frequency, you can tune it down. The fallacy here is that not everyone has an equalizer that can do this. Personally I'd get a type-r and put it into a sealed box. Look the recommended size in the documentation. I believe they recommend something like 1cu ft. This gives a fine box qtc and f3, as listed in the Alpine docs again. If you're the kind of person who does not need to drown vocals and instruments in bass, then sealed is all you need IMO. For anything besides the rap and various synthetic music, sealed box is more than fine. In most other music, the sub bass is just the kick drum and a bass guitar, which doesn't dig that low to begin with (what, 40Hz is lowest bass note usually?). According to specs, the Type-R handles up to 1000watt RMS. If you are not happy with a typical 300-500watt amp output, you could always upgrade. Expensivish, but you get the convenience of having more cargo space in the trunk. If you're not happy still, then research a ported box and build it.

This guy played with R12s and took some measurements. Maybe could be useful:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/146612-alpine-type-r-12d2.html

i tried a type R sealed, it sounded okay but the output is pretty lacking, ported makes a big difference and sound quality got better to be honest. If you plan on just having one sub and not adding any more subs or upgrading your setup even more, then make sure you get a D2 version of the sub. With a good ported box, the W3 will sound nice and have decent daily driver volume for beginners.
Why D2? I'd rather get a D4 wire at 2ohm and buy a decent amp that can provide the power at 2ohm, instead of saving a worth of one gas tank fillup by buying an amp that has to run at 1ohm. Maybe I am just old fashioned, but I like the efficiency, damping factor, and low distortion that running at 2ohm will often afford over 1ohm..

Hit up your local audio store (not best buy or mainstream crap) they might be able to build you a custom box or hit up dbeez or buck on this forum, they make bad@$$ boxes but customs will hit triple digit pricing after shipping. If money is a big concern, then just scour ebay or amazon for a premade box tuned moderately low(32-36hz) that has a net(not gross) cubic airspace of 1.6-1.8 cubic feet, make sure its made with 3/4 MDF or thicker, a box like that should fit the box requirements for both your listed subs.

seriously though, the prefab option is there because your new to subs, but in the future if you get better subs or want to add more in the future, just do the custom ported box, its well worth it.

As others said, do some more research before pulling triggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why D2? I'd rather get a D4 wire at 2ohm and buy a decent amp that can provide the power at 2ohm, instead of saving a worth of one gas tank fillup by buying an amp that has to run at 1ohm. Maybe I am just old fashioned, but I like the efficiency, damping factor, and low distortion that running at 2ohm will often afford over 1ohm..
it was mainly directed at the type R since the newer models handle up to 1k rms and the price difference between 1k rms @ 1ohm and 1k at 2 ohm amps could reach triple digits. If he's going with the JL w3, than yeah is fine doing a D4 since there's a lot of 2 ohm @ 500 rms for a good price out there.

it was mainly directed at the type R since the newer models handle up to 1k rms and the price difference between 1k rms @ 1ohm and 1k at 2 ohm amps could reach triple digits. If he's going with the JL w3, than yeah is fine doing a D4 since there's a lot of 2 ohm @ 500 rms for a good price out there.
Not to mention if he wants to run 2 w3's later on he can upgrade to something that does 1000 @ 1 ohm pretty easily. And 2 w3's is a decent system. Don't care who you are. The difference between 1000 watts and 500-600 isn't going to be that significant to the ear anyway. I agree that an amp doing 500 @ 2 ohm are a dime a dozen on CL and at your local pawnshop. It would also be easier on the car's electrical as well and with OP being new to this the less watts the better at first...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.