Alt? Batt? Or both?

JeepWithLows

I currently have a skar 1500.1 with (2) dc lvl 2 15s and a rockford 490.4 for mids/highs. In the next few months i am looking to double my system. Adding a second 1500 and possibly another amp (so i can run active). I have looked into purchasing about a 240 or 270 amp alt for the front. And at least one battery for the rear. But would i be fine with just getting two rear batteries? I will be running sky high 2/0 power and grounds, 2/0 big 3 under the hood. Would my factory 140 amp alt be okay or would it strain? Not trying to sound cheap but an alt is f**king expensive lol.

Alternator should always come first. Batteries don't make power, only store it.
Both replies are correct. If you get a battery and no alt your OEM one will be very strained and likely die. Look into Singer alternators, mike personally installed mine Sunday and it looks awesome and quality is great as well.

1500 watt just an extra battery if you double, you will needto replace the 140 alt and add at least another battery depending how many ah you currently have

Duracell agms from sams ...115 for g34 and 170 for g31 ..same as dekas ..i run 3 of them ..awesome batts

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

U will want to make sure to replace the one under the hood with a agm as well

Both replies are correct. If you get a battery and no alt your OEM one will be very strained and likely die. Look into Singer alternators, mike personally installed mine Sunday and it looks awesome and quality is great as well.
Why would it be strained?

I currently have an interstate under the hood now, i love my Wj as it fits a deisel battery. No rear batteries just yet. I know i need them. Electrical is first on my list of purchases. Keep my front battery. (brand new as it is) and look to buy an alt and about 2-3 rear batteries.

Why would it be strained?
Bc he will be drawing more than it can produce...that alt @idle does around 80a truck uses 30 to un leaving u with 50 hes already drawing atleast 150 and wanting to add another

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

I currently have an interstate under the hood now, i love my Wj as it fits a deisel battery. No rear batteries just yet. I know i need them. Electrical is first on my list of purchases. Keep my front battery. (brand new as it is) and look to buy an alt and about 2-3 rear batteries.
U cant go wrong with the duracels and they wont break the bank

My 275dc power works great. And I'm only running one batt right now

Just got my dual alt bracket in yesterday. When I put that in ill add the extra batt and life will be good

Get the right battery and you will only need one.

Bc he will be drawing more than it can produce...that alt @idle does around 80a truck uses 30 to un leaving u with 50 hes already drawing atleast 150 and wanting to add another
First of all, it's not going to draw that amount of amps 100% of the time. The alternator is just going to recharge the batteries. As long as he doesnt play his system full tilt 100% of the time giving the alternator no chance in recharging the battery bank, then he will be fine with just adding two additional batteries in the rear with the added equipment.

I had 6 XS Power D3100 with a stock large case GM alternator (105A idle/130 max) powering 2 RD D9's .4 ohms nominal each for months, no issues.

Pipo's only running 1 alternator (for his 16v side) and he has 28k watts on tap....just saying. That's way more current than that 1 alt can handle and he demo's for days.

First of all, it's not going to draw that amount of amps 100% of the time. The alternator is just going to recharge the batteries. As long as he doesnt play his system full tilt 100% of the time giving the alternator no chance in recharging the battery bank, then he will be fine with just adding two additional batteries in the rear with the added equipment.
I had 6 XS Power D3100 with a stock large case GM alternator (105A idle/130 max) powering 2 RD D9's .4 ohms nominal each for months, no issues.
Why would you want a system you couldn't play at full tilt?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JeepWithLows

JeepWithLows
Turlock, Ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Silverado SS