please help, sub not getting power

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThunderOne
10+ year member

I just removed my entire interior and dynamatted the whole thing. I unplugged my amp and sub to remove the carpet. I left all the wires just hanging about and for a split second the 2 guage ground wire hit the power wire. It make an electrical spark so I checked the fuse and replaced it just in case. I plugged everything back in and now my sub is not getting any power. It has a slight amount of bass probably coming from the head units power. The amp is lit up but I'm not sure what's going on.

Whats going on here? What did I do? I don't even know where to start. I guess I need to buy a multimeter now.

I checked the inline voltage via the connections at the amp. Good voltage going into it. But I'm not sure if the sub is getting fed power. Is it something with my amp?
completely hook the amp back up except dont hook the sub wires to the amp ,turn on the deck and amp and put the dmm probes on the - and + speaker terminals on the amp .set the dmm on dc and see if you get readings

I checked the inline voltage via the connections at the amp. Good voltage going into it. But I'm not sure if the sub is getting fed power. Is it something with my amp?
completely hook the amp back up except dont hook the sub wires to the amp ,turn on the deck and amp and put the dmm probes on the - and + speaker terminals on the amp .set the dmm on dc and see if you get readings

What readings should I be seeing? I checked the ohms earlier... all the speaker terminals read 2 ohms including at the amp, sub, box, and RCA cables. When I put it on voltage and touch the amp speaker terminals (on the dmm it is V~), it's just a tick above 0. If I put the dmm on V--- .. it just stays at 0. I'm not sure which of those is for DC... it's a simple dmm.. analog with a needle.

Okay so after testing my amp and sub via headphone jack to RCA, seems to work fine. Replaced RCA cables with no success. I think the power wire touching said cable may have fried my HU subwoofer output terminals. So I guess I'll be getting a new HU. Live and learn!

I will try to report back so the thread doesn't come to a dead end... hate that when I'm searching similar topics. More than likely the HU is the culprit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.