Sound deadening trunk lid question

Participant count
  • Participant list

ryanthie
10+ year member

Needs moar loud
I know you should deaden as much as you can, but I have a little question about my car.

'03 Protege. It has spots in the trunk lid that are gapped for license plate lights and bolts.

Question is, should I deaden the metal inside the gap where I can reach, or will deadening over the holes be sufficient enough?

You really only need to deaden the large flat surfaces. Round surfaces generally have enough strength as to not resonate anyways. 25-40 percent coverage is more than sufficient for the majority of systems.

what are your actual goals for this?
Getting rid of metal on metal rattle

You really only need to deaden the large flat surfaces. Round surfaces generally have enough strength as to not resonate anyways. 25-40 percent coverage is more than sufficient for the majority of systems.
Most of my lid has flat surfaces and the only rounded areas aren't too large really. Though knowing that will save me deadener to put in my doors though.. bottom of my trunk has quite a few rounded areas.

Try to use as little as possible on the flat surfaces. Test it out, and if you are not satisfied, you can always add more.

Just deaden the whole lid, as much as you can, and be done with it.Best to do it right the first time
thats not doing it right, thats just a a waste of materials, once you get past the 25-40 percent coverage range the added effects are so minimal that you will never be able to tell the difference.

thats not doing it right, thats just a a waste of materials, once you get past the 25-40 percent coverage range the added effects are so minimal that you will never be able to tell the difference.
That's inaccurate. 100% coverage always yields the best results.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.