Speaker Wire Melting

Participant count
  • Participant list
You need to use a good 12ga/10ga of wiring,nothing CHEAP..Id use 10ga,and you will need to rewire all your subs with the same wire throughout back to the amplifier.And change that connection as well/possibly all of them,as they are cheap possibly,and cannot withstand /disipate heat very well.

and this is why I don't use terminals to make connections. changing metal between signals as well as too small a gauge of wire contributed to the melting of that wire.

and this is why I don't use terminals to make connections. changing metal between signals as well as too small a gauge of wire contributed to the melting of that wire.
What do you use? How is 12 gauge too small? If I remember correctly it was a pain in the *** to connect to everything because it was thicker..So I should us 10 gauge now?

You need to use a good 12ga/10ga of wiring,nothing CHEAP..Id use 10ga,and you will need to rewire all your subs with the same wire throughout back to the amplifier.And change that connection as well/possibly all of them,as they are cheap possibly,and cannot withstand /disipate heat very well.
Thanks, could you recommend a better connection?

What do you use? How is 12 gauge too small? If I remember correctly it was a pain in the *** to connect to everything because it was thicker..So I should us 10 gauge now?
wire directly to sub than wire to wire. i don't use terminal cups or connections ever. I use 12 gauge for anything under 800 watts RMS, anything above that gets 10 gauge and goes directly to the amp if possible.

wire directly to sub than wire to wire. i don't use terminal cups or connections ever. I use 12 gauge for anything under 800 watts RMS, anything above that gets 10 gauge and goes directly to the amp if possible.
So if I where to wire directly to the amp now, how could I do it? Would I just drill a hole in the terminal somewhere and run it through? Any issues with sound leaks or anything like that?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.