Major problems with install, need help

Participant count
  • Participant list

radinc

I am in need of some advice for my install. I had a pair of HAT components running in passive and a sub hooked up to a 4 channel amp. Everything sounded good, but I decided to upgrade my system by going active and adding a mono amp and a bigger sub.

Once I got everything wired to active, a lot of problems decided to show up. The speakers were making popping sounds at low frequencies and sounded muddy with the highs. I couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I tried wiring it back to active but the problem stayed.

More problems began to arise, my amps stay on even after I turn off the car. Removing the remote cables from the amps did leave them off, and there's no power cable touching the remote area.

Lastly, the worst problem that came about was a loud screeching noise that came from my right speakers out of nowhere even with the volume off and car off. I had to run out the car and disconnect the negative post from the battery.

I can't imagine messing up much just by taking the speaker cables off my crossovers and connecting them to the amp. Everything was fine prior to that.

where in the bay area are you. would need to see what you have done to see whats going on , but sounds like the lp is on the mids ,could be a pinched rca for the tweets ,and the remote wire ,where is that wire coming from ,a deck or somewhere else?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm in San Francisco. The remote cable should be coming from the deck and I'll have to go take a look at the RCAs.

I'm trying to post more information but for some reason the forum isn't letting me.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Vehicle: Honda S2000

Headunit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Speakers: HAT Unity U61-2

4ch Amp: Clarion XH5410

Mono Amp: PPI P1000.4

Subwoofer: ARC10D2 -> IDMAX 10D2

Speakers are installed into the factory locations. I rewired from passive to active by taking the tweeter's positive and negative from the crossover and wired it into 1 channel of the XH5410, same with every other speaker. 6.5" speakers into the front channels of the amp and tweeters into the rear channels of the amp. RCAs for front to the middle rca jacks on the back of the 80PRS and RCAs for rear to the top RCAs. Hit the switch from the bottom of the 80PRS from Standard Mode to Network Mode and pressed the reset button.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

This was before I added my mono amp and with my subwoofer removed, so just the same amp with the speakers cable moved from the crossover boxes to the amp. This is where the speakers noise began appearing. At a bit higher volumes, the low frequencies would sound poppy and highs would sound scratchy. The tweeter gain was set to almost at the lowest setting while I used an oscilloscope on the front channel gains to get a clean signal. I've tried a different rca cable, different ground spot, and messing with my crossover points but I couldn't figure out the problem. Mid HPF @ 80 Hz -12dB/oct, Mid LPF @ 6.3K Hz -12dB/oct, and the High HPF @ 6.3K Hz -18dB/oct.

Next, I added the mono amp by taking my 4awg power cable from my XH5410 and putting it into a Kicker distribution Block (DB1448) and then running two short 4awg cables to each amp. Same ground point for the first amp and grounded the mono amp another bolt in a different area, which seemed fine but I also tried grounding it on the same area as the first amp, but no changes to the problem. I daisy chained the remote cable from the first amp to the second amp. New pair of RCAs ran through the same area of the original 4ch. RCAs I had prior. I then rewired the speakers back to the original way on the passive crossovers and switching back to standard mode on the 80PRS. The speaker problem didn't go away and eventually the other problems showed up. Amps won't turn off after car is off, speakers popping, and worst of all was the loud screeching noise that would appear even with volume off and car off. It's so stressful, considering my custom enclosure just came in and I couldn't wait to hear my IDMAX! I'm to the point where I'm about to bring it to a shop even though I wanted to avoid that due to the lack of funds. Any recommendations on shops or installers in the San Francisco / Bay Area? Thanks!

Oh yeah, another thing I just noticed is even with the deck off, when someone closes my passenger door, the speakers would make a short whining sound and then a slight pop!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm in San Francisco. The remote cable should be coming from the deck and I'll have to go take a look at the RCAs.
I'm trying to post more information but for some reason the forum isn't letting me.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Vehicle: Honda S2000

Headunit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Speakers: HAT Unity U61-2

4ch Amp: Clarion XH5410

Mono Amp: PPI P1000.4

Subwoofer: ARC10D2 -> IDMAX 10D2

Speakers are installed into the factory locations. I rewired from passive to active by taking the tweeter's positive and negative from the crossover and wired it into 1 channel of the XH5410, same with every other speaker. 6.5" speakers into the front channels of the amp and tweeters into the rear channels of the amp. RCAs for front to the middle rca jacks on the back of the 80PRS and RCAs for rear to the top RCAs. Hit the switch from the bottom of the 80PRS from Standard Mode to Network Mode and pressed the reset button.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

This was before I added my mono amp and with my subwoofer removed, so just the same amp with the speakers cable moved from the crossover boxes to the amp. This is where the speakers noise began appearing. At a bit higher volumes, the low frequencies would sound poppy and highs would sound scratchy. The tweeter gain was set to almost at the lowest setting while I used an oscilloscope on the front channel gains to get a clean signal. I've tried a different rca cable, different ground spot, and messing with my crossover points but I couldn't figure out the problem. Mid HPF @ 80 Hz -12dB/oct, Mid LPF @ 6.3K Hz -12dB/oct, and the High HPF @ 6.3K Hz -18dB/oct.

Next, I added the mono amp by taking my 4awg power cable from my XH5410 and putting it into a Kicker distribution Block (DB1448) and then running two short 4awg cables to each amp. Same ground point for the first amp and grounded the mono amp another bolt in a different area, which seemed fine but I also tried grounding it on the same area as the first amp, but no changes to the problem. I daisy chained the remote cable from the first amp to the second amp. New pair of RCAs ran through the same area of the original 4ch. RCAs I had prior. I then rewired the speakers back to the original way on the passive crossovers and switching back to standard mode on the 80PRS. The speaker problem didn't go away and eventually the other problems showed up. Amps won't turn off after car is off, speakers popping, and worst of all was the loud screeching noise that would appear even with volume off and car off. It's so stressful, considering my custom enclosure just came in and I couldn't wait to hear my IDMAX! I'm to the point where I'm about to bring it to a shop even though I wanted to avoid that due to the lack of funds. Any recommendations on shops or installers in the San Francisco / Bay Area? Thanks!

Oh yeah, another thing I just noticed is even with the deck off, when someone closes my passenger door, the speakers would make a short whining sound and then a slight pop!
sounds like a ground issue ,if you wanna drive down to me ,i'm 15 min past gilroy i can check it out ,a shop will charge you quite a bit to diagnose the problem .i'll take a quick look and maybe we can figure out whats going on

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.