What effects will fiberglassing the inside of an enclosure have?

you talking resin or resin and mat? Resin will do nothing for strength and even with mat if would have to be several layers to make a diff.

It WILL cost you some $$$ and take some time, that's about the only thing certain. Some guys gain a fuzz on the meter doing resin inside and some don't. No it won't change how the box sounds unless you had a bunch of leaks and magically sealed them...

you talking resin or resin and mat? Resin will do nothing for strength and even with mat if would have to be several layers to make a diff.
It WILL cost you some $$$ and take some time, that's about the only thing certain. Some guys gain a fuzz on the meter doing resin inside and some don't. No it won't change how the box sounds unless you had a bunch of leaks and magically sealed them...
Agreed, use some window bracing instead if you are looking for strength.

depends on material box is made of.... if birch above help is correct, mdf on the other had is very pourous and applying resin over the complete box would make it more air tight (yes air will pass through the mdf - search for mdf and shop vac videos) so it will make the boxes air loss loss much less.... chasing .10 in the lanes yes, daily not worth the cost, time and smell. if going to resin might as well just build it from birch...

depends on material box is made of.... if birch above help is correct, mdf on the other had is very pourous and applying resin over the complete box would make it more air tight (yes air will pass through the mdf - search for mdf and shop vac videos) so it will make the boxes air loss loss much less.... chasing .10 in the lanes yes, daily not worth the cost, time and smell. if going to resin might as well just build it from birch...
Don't believe the vid personally, static charge in the air maybe. Secondly a ported box his a BIG *** hole in it, air will escape from there before it magically went thru the mdf walls...

Don't believe the vid personally, static charge in the air maybe. Secondly a ported box his a BIG *** hole in it, air will escape from there before it magically went thru the mdf walls...
Yes exactly, people continuously quote the MDF leaks video but when you have a huge hole in your box for the port that air is going to take the path of least resistance, not try and force its way through the mdf.

more pressure builds up in a ported box over a sealed box, I guess i am bias twords Birch - easier to use, makes less saw dust, stronger, lighter, resist moister way-way more. I only us MDF when i half to anymore, for less that $10 a sheet difference i just cant see why not to use it.

I've seen this go both ways... I watched a guy gain .2-.3 just by soaking the inside with resin. His buddy tried it the following weekend and actually lost .1-.2

Seen a guy sound deaden the inside of this enclosure as well and he actually gained a small amount at certain tones but lost just as much at other tones. ****'s weird... Personally, I just get standard wood sealer and soak my MDF before I build my box. Then I use PLENTY of glue, wipe it clean and then caulk the corners all up after it's dry.

more pressure builds up in a ported box over a sealed box, I guess i am bias twords Birch - easier to use, makes less saw dust, stronger, lighter, resist moister way-way more. I only us MDF when i half to anymore, for less that $10 a sheet difference i just cant see why not to use it.
x2 on only using birch so personally I don't care if you can use MDF as a collander to strain pasta //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.