CEA compliant amps question.

Do CEA Compliant amps test all ohm ranges? or just 4 ohms? I ask because I wanna buy an amp that says its cea compliant and the ratings are for it 800 at 4 ohms, 1600 at 2 ohms, 2400 at 1 ohm. It seems kinda sketchy that the wattage would double going down 1 ohm. That's not how ohms law works.

So my question is do CEA just test amps at 4 ohms or do they test at 1 ohm also? CEA says they have a specific testing procedure and they only say 4 ohms so couldn't a site or manufacture go with the 4 ohm cea compliant rating of 800 and then bump up the 2 and 1 ohms ratings to what every they wanted?

from what I understand, if an amp manufacturer wants to be cea compliant and advertise what their amp does at 2 and 1 ohm, they must follow the same procedure as the 4ohm rating.

If anybody else says otherwise, they'e wrong. I know some forum members think that the maufacturers can say what ever they want regarding 2 and 1 ohm operation but it's BS. The CEA website clearly says that if an amp is to be cea compliant, all RMS wattage postings at whatever the ohm load must be done using the cea procedure.

from what I understand' date=' if an amp manufacturer wants to be cea compliant and advertise what their amp does at 2 and 1 ohm, they must follow the same procedure as the 4ohm rating.
If anybody else says otherwise, they'e wrong. I know some forum members think that the maufacturers can say what ever they want regarding 2 and 1 ohm operation but it's BS. The CEA website clearly says that if an amp is to be cea compliant, all RMS wattage postings at whatever the ohm load must be done using the cea procedure.[/quote']

I read the site though and they don't say anything about any other ohm, they just say they following the testing procedure at 4 ohms. So by my understanding they don't test the other ohms.

But I could be wrong, so I want other people opinions.

I read the site though and they don't say anything about any other ohm, they just say they following the testing procedure at 4 ohms. So by my understanding they don't test the other ohms.But I could be wrong, so I want other people opinions.
If I didn't read it on the website then it must have been elsewhere. But what was said is that if the manufacturer chooses to display ratings at other than 4ohms, the same testing procedure must be followed to be cea compliant or else the product cannot have the cea-2006 compliancy logo on it.

I tried posting the website a while ago here but wasn't able to because of this sites anti-spam filter than wont allow people with low post counts to post URL's. I'll see if I can find it again.

What do you guys mean efficiency drops at 1 ohm? By efficiency do you mean wattage or distortion? I know that current flow goes up the lower the ohm so I don't understand how the efficiency would drop???

CEA2006/CEA2031 standards were created to help sell amplifiers and speakers thats it, it is basically a way to make questionable products legit

Like said it doesn't mean anything really. CEA let's the brands run at an undisclosed voltage rating so yeah an amp could make 1000 watts but could be 18 volts and so on

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.