Kenwood DDX790 And Android ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Flyers28

I am looking at purchasing a Kenwood DDX790 unit. I know the unit works via Bluetooth with Android phones to stream music. I also know you can connect an iphone to the system via a cable to stream video. I am wondering if there is a work around to connect an Android phone to the system to stream video. Crutchfield informed that i would not be able to stream video through Bluetooth which is a bummer. This unit seems all most pointless to purchase when half the features won't even work with my phone, 500 bucks for a fancy Bluetooth music streamer. I am mostly worried about being able to use Google Nav while streaming music. The ideal scenerio would be able to view google nav on the screen while listening to music throught he bluetooth, but i believe i was already told by crutchfield that this was not possible.

Are there any other units that are better or equal to this system that can do more with android for a similar price. I am a fan of the larger 7" screen units. I was looking at the Pioneer x5500BHS but heard some bad reviews on this unit.

There a new firmware update on the website. I have a DNX 690HD. They fix the bluetooth be able to text and do see music listing on the bluetooth steaming on droids phone. If you want to see video like AVI or movies or music video I think you need a usb memory stick or a SD card on to the deck. I did try plugging in my phone from the USB some how it doesn't read the memory card that is in the phone or all the music and video in the phone or any other things that are on the phone. I did try all the setting to be able to get phone to connect and read from the USB from the deck there is no way. I don't know what happened to the kenwood forums seam like they are down. The 990HD is about the best there is out there. But it does the same thing as the 690HD 790HD but more options. You might end up getting an Iphone. I don't know any other deck that would do same scenario as the Iphone setting be able to see everything on the other phone like videos and youtube and things like that. I wish it would for the droid android and blackberry or any other phone. I think our phone needs an update for USB video steaming other programing to our deck. But most of the droid have a min HDMI that steam video from the phone. But windows phone I have no idea but they said it support it.

This has been a headache, just when i am about to make a purchase i stumble across some review that deters me. But i think I've strayed away from the kenwood and leaning towards the pioneer avh-x8500bhs. Not sure if its going to do what i want, but it does have hdmi hookup, and has appmode, for android, but seems buggy. Going to keep researching and if i make a purchase ill report back and let some people know how it went, because i am sure there are android users out there shopping for a unit that feel as lost as i am. haha.

Question regarding the 8500bhs, for those that have one with an android, will appradio mode work with hdmi. Ive found 2 anwers to this question that contradict each other and nobody has been able to comment any further. One report says you need the mhl adapter in order for the touch response on the head unit to work through your phone, which makes sense. Then i heard that this can be done with just the hdmi connection. So no i have no idea which is true. I didn't think hdmi could handle input/output like usb can.

I didnt want to start a new thread for this question so hopefully somebody with the answer stumbles upon this.

HDMI is a far more superior connection than USB ;-) If the devices in question have the proper engineering and software built into them you can do anything with HDMI that USB can do...

HDMI is a far more superior connection than USB ;-) If the devices in question have the proper engineering and software built into them you can do anything with HDMI that USB can do...
Oh man I feel stupid... Haha. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I'll pull the trigger

Oh man I feel stupid... Haha. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I'll pull the trigger
I'm NOT telling you that I KNOW 1st hand it will do what you are wanting it to do, I'm just telling you from my computer-related technical standpoint, that YES - HDMI can do more than just transfer video & sound ;-)

I'm NOT telling you that I KNOW 1st hand it will do what you are wanting it to do, I'm just telling you from my computer-related technical standpoint, that YES - HDMI can do more than just transfer video & sound ;-)
Yea I gotcha. I'm still buying on whimb Either way. But it makes sense that if hdmi has the same ability as usb an mhl adapter would seem redundant. I've checked a few other sources and it seems hdmi will work but it's all still a big if. And if it don't work I buy the mhl adapter, and if that don't work..... Anybody want a slightly used x8500 haha.

Yea I gotcha. I'm still buying on whimb Either way. But it makes sense that if hdmi has the same ability as usb an mhl adapter would seem redundant. I've checked a few other sources and it seems hdmi will work but it's all still a big if. And if it don't work I buy the mhl adapter, and if that don't work..... Anybody want a slightly used x8500 haha.
lolz - Hope it all works out 4 ya, Sounds like one way or another it will... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.