Amp help.

-Josh-
10+ year member

Right now, my system consists of an alpine cde-hd137bt head-unit, the jbl ms-62c for my front stage, and the jbl p8662 for my rear speakers which have been modified for use as a mid-bass speaker in my Toyota Tacoma.

With the a budget of 300 in mind I am torn, whether or not to get a 4 channel amp and bridge two of the channels to power a sub and not use the amp on the rear speakers or just to get a 5 channel amp to power the whole system. So what do you think of the two options I should do for my setup?

Based on the option picked, choose which amp you would recommend out of the ones listed:

5 channel amps:

Alpine MRX-V70 and the

Rockford Fosgate P1000x5D

Any other recommendations at the 300 dollar price point?

4 channel amps:

PPI 900.4

Rockford Fosgate P500x4D

Pioneer GM-D8604

Any other recommendations at the 300 dollar price point?

Lastly, I will pick the sub out based on amp recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I like that rockford prime amp. Do you think I could get by putting 50 watts to the 62c's?
I'd run any of those amps. My top three would go JL, Kicker, JBL. JL is gonna be the best amp of the bunch. I like the A/B-D combo and power of the Kicker and JBL is just win.

I'd run any of those amps. My top three would go JL, Kicker, JBL. JL is gonna be the best amp of the bunch. I like the A/B-D combo and power of the Kicker and JBL is just win.
Can you further elaborate on what you mean by this? Also, would there be a difference in sound when running an a/b amp to the components vs. a d amp?

50 Watts ain't a whole lot of power. I suspect they won't get that loud, unless you don't care for getting loud
I realize 50 watts isn't a whole lot of power, I just don't want to under-power them is all and clip the signal if I do play it loud. I know it is better to overpower than under-power because you can always adjust your gains.

Can you further elaborate on what you mean by this? Also, would there be a difference in sound when running an a/b amp to the components vs. a d amp?
I just love JBL. That's all. They have great products at great prices, IMO. And they don't get enough love. It only falls to 3rd on my list because it isn't as much power as the others. But honestly, you'd barely be able to hear the difference between 50w and 75w. That's like a 1.5db difference in power when 1db is the smallest perceivable difference we can hear.

I like that JL because of the combo of size, power, efficiency and... it's JL. if I didn't need (7) channels, I'd be all over that JL. Well... maybe the HD series, but you get the idea.

I just love JBL. That's all. They have great products at great prices, IMO. And they don't get enough love. It only falls to 3rd on my list because it isn't as much power as the others. But honestly, you'd barely be able to hear the difference between 50w and 75w. That's like a 1.5db difference in power when 1db is the smallest perceivable difference we can hear.
I like that JL because of the combo of size, power, efficiency and... it's JL. if I didn't need (7) channels, I'd be all over that JL. Well... maybe the HD series, but you get the idea.
I love JBL too, they make some very high value products at a low price like the MS-62C's. I like the JL as well for it size and power. I am just looking around for the best value. Also if you run a/b amp to the front components vs a d amp does it make a difference in sound quality?

At 50 watts it wont be loud under clipping.

Dude... not everybody is worried about "loud." Some people actually enjoy music. Not volume for volume's sake. Do you hae any idea how much power you're actually giving your highs? Even at "loud" levels? I think you'd be surprised.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.