My speakers sound too high pitch when I barely raise input level on Amp?

Participant count
  • Participants list

legaspi89
10+ year member

Chino CA
Hello everyone. Been a while since I been on here. I have a DHD 4 channel Amp 2 ohm, powering Phoenix Gold RSd 65cs in the front and infinity speakers in the back. All 4 speakers sound pretty darn good, however I would like to raise the input level or gain level to actually amplify my speakers up a bit. But when I barely raise the gain up, genres like Oldies, Rock, Disco, sound too high pitch on all 4 speakers where I have to keep the input level on the amp completely down. Now I when I play hip hop with the bass bumping, its not bad having the input level on the amp turned up just a bit. I have a 2008 Kenwood head unit and not even reducing the treble makes a difference when the input level is up a bit. Pheonix Gold are components and the infinity are coaxial.

How can I fix this. A better head unit(different brand) with better treble sensitivity? Resistors? External Electronic Crossover? Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Either what he said or run your tweets in such a way to where you can turn down their volume independently of your other speakers.

Though adding resistors would probably be the easiest way to go about it without complicating your wiring configurations

Check your crossover points too

Also check the polarity on all of your speakers (make sure + is going to + and - to - on all). Cancellation can cause a similar effect to what you are describing.

Does the negative and positive not matter on tweeters if u r connecting to a crossover. BC the tweeter does not specify which + or -

It will determine polarity, therefore determine how they will sound. This is referred to as speakers being out of phase.

Wire both tweets up the same way. If it sounds odd, swap one of the tweets +-. That will put them in phase.

Also, you could be getting phase interference from other speakers. What kind of speakers are you running in your car altogether and what are their crossover points.

Edit: and how are your tweets wired toyour system

Does the negative and positive not matter on tweeters if u r connecting to a crossover. BC the tweeter does not specify which + or -
It matters. If there are wired backwards it will cause sound cancellation. Some tweeters aren't marked but come with the speaker wire soldered on to them already. Typically by convention the wire with the stripe is the negative (-) so should be wired to the crossover negative (-).

honestly I would just add a clarion 7 band eq to your stereo system they are easier to install than a head unit and can tune your system to your likings. I have one and I love it does everything I need it to and more. for 50 bucks you cant go wrong.

i am using the tweeters that came with my components and the crossover that came with it, one wire is black and the other is red, no lines, so i figured the black will be - and red is +

Hello everyone. I know this thread is kind of old, however I wanted to know if changing my Amplifier can fix this problem of the harsh tweeters.

This is the DHD Amp I have.

DHD NTX-2004 Car Amplifier | eBay

When I went to my local stereo shop, they told me I need to get rid of that Amp since its so cheap and the reason its making my tweeters sound bright. With a good quality amp, it will fix this problem.

What do you guys think?

I think someone said to point them towards the windshield will help too. I had to do that to my jbls, u want to get a silk dome tweeter opposed to aluminum whichthe infinity are

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.