Mismatched batteries

JJ30
10+ year member

I'm putting together a shopping cart for a little electrical upgrade (0AWG big 3 + 0AWG to 2nd battery) and I've looked at pretty much every single forum about the 2nd battery set-up, and what I've concluded is that isolators are very voltage restricting and that your front and rear batteries need to match in order to run them without an isolator. My question is this; is there a safe way to run a 2nd battery without any power restriction? All ideas/input much appreciated!

I'm putting together a shopping cart for a little electrical upgrade (0AWG big 3 + 0AWG to 2nd battery) and I've looked at pretty much every single forum about the 2nd battery set-up, and what I've concluded is that isolators are very voltage restricting and that your front and rear batteries need to match in order to run them without an isolator. My question is this; is there a safe way to run a 2nd battery without any power restriction? All ideas/input much appreciated!
i have 4 batts in my trunk and all of them are tied into the front battery and my alt and my front batt is different than the 4 in my trunk

The theory behind the idea that you should use the same batteries, is that different batteries rest at different voltages and it will lead to one battery trying to charge the others to equal it out. This could reduce the life of the batteries. I personally have never had an issue running two different batteries without an isolator, but if the resting voltage is a large enough difference, I could see it having a small affect on the life of the batteries.

^^This, but chances are, it will never be a problem. Go ahead and Mix and match as the different in voltage will most likely be minimal, if at all, and wont be noticeable.

So none of ya have had your rides explode yet due to batteries? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Thanks all, have a nice evening.

One thing to remember though, is that while you can mix different group size batteries, make sure that all the batteries are of the same type. For example, do not mix agm deep cycle / dry cell with a regular wet cell battery, etc.

One thing to remember though, is that while you can mix different group size batteries, make sure that all the batteries are of the same type. For example, do not mix agm deep cycle / dry cell with a regular wet cell battery, etc.
I have heard people say this many times but have never seen anyone explain why. Can anyone shed some light? Maybe one of the battery guys on the forum

I have heard people say this many times but have never seen anyone explain why. Can anyone shed some light? Maybe one of the battery guys on the forum
Put mixing battery types into google and you will get the information from battery manufactures and tons of other experts. Basically it’s because they charge and discharge at different rates.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.