ciaonzo

Underhung TC Nomz

Been after one of these for years, finally got a pair.

SVSUnderhung074_zps3acd954c.jpg

SVSUnderhung088_zps5330a73d.jpg

SVSUnderhung104_zps79ab6628.jpg

SVSUnderhung100_zps0d734a11.jpg

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

:omg:

Gimme!

What's the model/name of those motors?

fapfapfap

the FUNK / facebook.com/The.Funk.765

CarTune Netwerk / facebook.com/cartune.netwerk0

Alpine / Sundown Audio / Sound Solutions Audio

Audio Technix / CT Sounds / Execution Audio

eR6VzIw.gif

Dem some nice woofers

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

xmax?

My feedback thread [scammers in red]

bought from: fatboyracing, Pottro 563, Max Power, JHughes, TeamSouthrnBass, stupify

04 Ford Explorer

System:

HU: AVH-P4100

Sub: Omega 18" D1 (9.5cuft@34hz)

Sub amp - PA BAMF5500/1D (something new soon)

Highs/Mids - 9.2/9.4 (not installed)

WTB: Omega 18" D1 (Pst offer)

:omg:

Gimme!

What's the model/name of those motors?

It's basicaly a beefed up MASS able to drive the shit out of a port (MASS drivers were designed for sealed applications). A nice 10 layer flatwind with a Kapton former, nice and light to stay snappy tight.

SVSUnderhung062_zpse81eb66d.jpg

SVSUnderhung068_zpsc67ef439.jpg

SVSUnderhung030_zpsa64755c1.jpg

SVSUnderhung049_zps0bdb7956.jpg

SVSUnderhung043_zpsf20b4419.jpg

SVSUnderhung032_zpsd4fcb18f.jpg

SVSUnderhung037_zps44e2b506.jpg

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

It's basicaly a beefed up MASS able to drive the shit out of a port (MASS drivers were designed for sealed applications). A nice 10 layer flatwind with a Kapton former, nice and light to stay snappy tight.

SVSUnderhung062_zpse81eb66d.jpg

SVSUnderhung068_zpsc67ef439.jpg

SVSUnderhung030_zpsa64755c1.jpg

SVSUnderhung049_zps0bdb7956.jpg

SVSUnderhung043_zpsf20b4419.jpg

SVSUnderhung032_zpsd4fcb18f.jpg

SVSUnderhung037_zps44e2b506.jpg

Ahh ok. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a coil that short?

I was just going to ask that. It is very unusual.

I would guess that with triple stacked magnets and high Xmech, the coil needs not be so long. It's probably the same amount of wire found in the usual 4 layer 2.5" DVC subs, but compressed........with 10 layers.

All day I'm clippin'

voltage be dippin'

I don't give a damn,

cause my trunk always hittin'!

creating a proper sound wave. Step one, turn it up until clipping. Step two, done.

Synthesis_square.gif

Underhung is usually intended for very low distortion applications. Obviously, there's much less moving mass and inductance so very good for wide bandwidth use. BL is more linear than overhung so THD stays very low, but it's like a brick wall when it's done.

UHFLX.JPG

Underhung is usually intended for very low distortion applications. Obviously, there's much less moving mass and inductance so very good for wide bandwidth use. BL is more linear than overhung so THD stays very low, but it's like a brick wall when it's done.

UHFLX.JPG

Ok. I understood the reason behind underhung, guess I just never seen a flux diagram with an underhung motor. So, with the shorter coil, the entire coil should stay within the main motor force area (don't know what that's called :crap:) throughout the full stroke? As opposed to a longer coil that would have part of the coil inside, part of the coil outside on each side of it's stroke. What are the differences there?

Ok. I understood the reason behind underhung, guess I just never seen a flux diagram with an underhung motor. So, with the shorter coil, the entire coil should stay within the main motor force area (don't know what that's called :crap:) throughout the full stroke? As opposed to a longer coil that would have part of the coil inside, part of the coil outside on each side of it's stroke. What are the differences there?

In underhung the coil stays within the gap through the whole stroke. Original RE XXX was underhung and AFAIK MT was as well. More often used in midrange. You save mass for sure and get a very even BL curve until the coil leaves the gap. As OP stated, they're great until you get into big excursions. Big downside from manufacturing standpoint is you need a big arse top plate.

damm those are nice,what do these run?what kind of power do they like?

bought from: wccoug21 sundownz thegreatestpenn loudwhat? woofercooker jonny101abc spooney fasfocus00

sold to: jpx18 Nateberrier Ge_off_me spm_215 2lo2flo akheathen etm34 djjdnap jfroghobo traded: SPLaudio Zeuslicious

under construction:

1992 Toyota Paseo(1) Pioneer DEH-P500UB head unit(2)American Bass VFL 500.1 amps(4) stinger batteries,building 2 10's in tubes

Nice find ciaonzo! I almost picked up a SVS proto with the same motor.

Wish I had picked it up now ;(

* (2) Morel Ultimo 12's * Hybrid Audio Legathia SE 3-Way Active Front Stage * RF 360.3 DSP * (2) Arc Audio XDi 1100.1 * Arc Audio XDi 1200.6 *

Pretty sweet ; I am doing an under-hung project too w/ 60mm TP / 25mm coil / full copper pole sleeve.

Have always had a soft spot for the under-hung design -- used to have a prototype TC Sounds unit as well with that same gap treatment, it got down big time and sounded great.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Associate, Stereo Integrity

- I DO NOT USE PMs ON HERE -- Please e-mail me!

- E-MAIL is sundownz@sundownaudio.com

Simon Eichenberger is THE MAN.

Since this has the copper ring on the inside, doesn't that classify it as an xbl2 motor?

Product Manager – Car Audio and Raw Speaker Drivers - Parts Express

partsexpress_logo_badge_color_on_white.png

XBL has to do with grooves on the top plate and pole :

XBLFLX.JPG

ohhhhh, well now I know lol.

Product Manager – Car Audio and Raw Speaker Drivers - Parts Express

partsexpress_logo_badge_color_on_white.png

D A M N, that's all I can say. and smexy woofage.

2013 Cadillac SRX Performance package

Cadillac CUE Entertainment System

10 speaker Bose premium

Incriminator Audio IA20.1

Stereo Integrity HST12MKII

Bought from; mylows10 x5, double07 x6, ssteele x1, boxxcd x1, vecticus x1, 72impala x1, treesive x1, jaeguerra909 x1, pinoy2o9 x1, michaellane x1, trumpet x1, ricoshay x1, boomsday x1, mitchell0715 x1, Jeffdachef x1. Sold to; mrfoca x1, Treo 15 x2, Trades; AnthonyO x1, Shauncox26 x1, loudenuff x1

i've gotta say what would the audio industry be without tc sounds. yes i know they had there soft part and glue joint failures and biz problems and screwing people over with warrentys. some of there designs stand the test of time and still used today.

XBL has to do with grooves on the top plate and pole :

XBLFLX.JPG

So that gives what advantages exactly vs. normal underhung?

Fantastic find man now sell me the other one!

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________

-Head Unit: Kenwood DNX-692HD_____________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100

-Sub Stage: Focal KX40 16"_________________ -Sub Stage: Looking

-Mids/Highs: Focal KRX & PHD AF____________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt

-Sub Amp: Mosconi AS200.4_________________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)

-Mid Amp: Mosconi AS200.4_________________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

So that gives what advantages exactly vs. normal underhung?

For a given top plate and/or coil height you get more linear x-max -- and the BL curve is flatter in the center.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Associate, Stereo Integrity

- I DO NOT USE PMs ON HERE -- Please e-mail me!

- E-MAIL is sundownz@sundownaudio.com

Simon Eichenberger is THE MAN.

Wow, busy thread. Thanks for all the help, you guys. I was busy at work.

damm those are nice,what do these run?what kind of power do they like?
They don't need much power to do their thing. These are only found in the older SVS PB12 Ultra and Ultra/2 so there is no market price on them.

Nice find ciaonzo! I almost picked up a SVS proto with the same motor.

Wish I had picked it up now ;(

I'm surprised you didn't!

Pretty sweet ; I am doing an under-hung project too w/ 60mm TP / 25mm coil / full copper pole sleeve.

Have always had a soft spot for the under-hung design -- used to have a prototype TC Sounds unit as well with that same gap treatment, it got down big time and sounded great.

Yeah, the articulation and dynamics are incredible with these underhung drivers. Just a single old school MASS is phenomenal on it's own, so I'm looking forward to throwing a pair of these into a low-tuned enclosure with some solid power. I'm also looking forward to the release of your underhung driver! Rubber surround, pretty please?

i've gotta say what would the audio industry be without tc sounds. yes i know they had there soft part and glue joint failures and biz problems and screwing people over with warrentys. some of there designs stand the test of time and still used today.
You said it, bud. I agree.

Fantastic find man now sell me the other one!
lulz

The red one or the other SVS?

No. lol

nice addition to the museum :nerd:
I've been lusting after these for so long. :inlove:

damm that *****,these are straight up beautiful subs man wish i could get a hold of a pair,3" coil or 4"? also whats the point of the copper shorting ring?

bought from: wccoug21 sundownz thegreatestpenn loudwhat? woofercooker jonny101abc spooney fasfocus00

sold to: jpx18 Nateberrier Ge_off_me spm_215 2lo2flo akheathen etm34 djjdnap jfroghobo traded: SPLaudio Zeuslicious

under construction:

1992 Toyota Paseo(1) Pioneer DEH-P500UB head unit(2)American Bass VFL 500.1 amps(4) stinger batteries,building 2 10's in tubes

damm that *****,these are straight up beautiful subs man wish i could get a hold of a pair,3" coil or 4"? also whats the point of the copper shorting ring?
3" coil. The shorting ring negates some of the inherent voice coil inductance and helps stabilize magnetic flux as the coil generates it's own back EMF. This greatly reduces inter-modulation distortion under high power and very high excursion.