Thermal loading help? Sundown Z v.3

Participant count
  • Participant list

Light-Foot
10+ year member

Okays guys ima list the components so maybe you can pick which would be the problem as im sure it is my wire.

-Sundown Z v.3 12 Dual 1

-Alpine MRX-M100

-Audio Technix OFC 8 guage speaker wire

-Cadence 4-guage power and ground

-I don't not have a big 3

-RED top optima that is crankin 15.20 volts strait to the amp

-current box 2.1 cubes overall. 1.75 internally. tuned to 33 hz (im aware its not big enough, Im currently building a kerf ported box that is 2.8 cubes.

I also had this thermal problem with my sa-12 so I upgraded to the z v.3 and it handles it a lot better but the dustcap still gets warm after 2 or 3 pounding songs. The sub is a Dual 1 wired to 2 ohms bc alpines lowest impedence on that amp is 2 ohms. Im only turning the deck to 18 out of 35. The sub is not distorted what so ever and the amp gain is only cranked halfway and it can still bottom it out and clip it all the time on low power. I do not understand why its getting hot so quick. my only reasons are...

1) 15.20 volts

2) Crappy Cadence wire

3) Amp

4) Box size

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks

Clipping the sub

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Set the gains properly.

So when you all say set gains properly... do I need to back it off in power? or are other settings such as LPF or subsonic filter affecting this? I guess it would be smart to invest in a DD-1?

A warm dust cap is also not going to be unusual. Any speaker is very inefficient -- most of the energy turns into heat. The dust cap movement pumps air in and out of the motor so all of this hot air comes into contact with the cap.

So do I really have anything to worry about unless I start smelling the coil. My sa-12 would get stinky all the time and that's why I got the Z which still handles it a lot better. I clamped it today at 60hz with 666 watts. Im building a bogger box at the moment and I was wonderin if that might keep me from clipping or will I be able to turn the gain down and get the same performance out of a bigger box?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.